someone

"So! You from around here?"

You can't tell if Hange's enthusiasm is forced, or maybe they're naturally just always this excited. Either way, you're not sure how to properly address them. 

"Uh, that was my apartment," you say. "So, yeah. I guess."

"Neat, neat. So you're the reason these streets are so clear?"

The two of you are walking side by side on the sidewalk next to the road. Erwin and Levi are somewhere behind you; every time you glance back, the two of them are staring at you. You always turn back around pretty quickly.

You shrug, returning to Hange's question. "I guess. Most of the zombies migrated elsewhere once they thought this street was empty, but sometimes there's a few around."

"And you kill 'em? With the axe?"

"Yeah."

"That's your weapon of choice?" You nod. "How'd you get it?"

You pause, considering your answer. "One of those 'in case of emergency' things, you know," you say truthfully. "It's been pretty useful so far."

Hange nods enthusiastically. "Neat! Ever found any guns?" You shake your head. "There ain't a lot of 'em, but we've found a few," they continue. "Used up all the bullets already though. Know of where we can get ammo?"

You shake your head. "Is your base far?" you ask, changing topics.

They shrug. "Nah, not at all. It's central Sina."

"Whereabouts?"

"You know the library?"

You blink. "Your headquarters is the old library?"

"Yep!" Hange says eagerly. "It's great Stocked with plenty of things that can be used for barricades, and you never get bored! Always plenty of books to read, even if these cretins want to use them as fire starter," they call over their shoulder, shooting a glance back at Levi.

"You can't blame me for wanting to burn Shakespeare," Levi retorts.

You can't help it; you grin. At least that's something the two of you can agree on. "Can't say I want to argue with him," you murmur, looking to Hange.

Hange scoffs. "Shakespeare was great!"

"What, are you an English teacher?"

"Nah, med school!" They laugh, then quiet themselves, as if remembering where you all are. "Finished my undergrad, only a year into the big stuff before all this went down," Hange continues. "Not sure if I liked it anyways. I think I'm more suited for chem."

"Careful, or they'll light your jacket on fire," Erwin says from behind you.

Hange laughs. "Nah, Sparks over here could do that on her own!"

Your grin immediately gives way for a scowl. "Please don't tell me that's going to stick."

Erwin speaks up from behind you. "No such luck."

"Aw, c'mon, it's a cute name!" Hange protests. 

"I have a name. It's a good name."

"Nah. I'm calling you Sparks."

"You don't have to."

"I want to!" They beam. "Look at all these supplies you got us- you gave us a spark of hope! I think it's optimistic."

You fight back the curse that's rising in your throat- it's hard to remain on guard when Hange is just so damn likeable- and you focus on something else. "How far is the walk?" you ask.