inside you [nsfw]

Ironic chapter title LMAO. I promise I didn't plan this, it just ended up this way. Anyways: NSFW ahead. Finally.

.

You want to die. You want to melt straight into this cellar floor and never reappear.

But you can't. You won't.

So when Levi pulls on you, you let him tug you to your feet and towards the stairs. Stairs that you'd been fighting so hard to get to moments before now seem like the worst possible decision of your life.

Axe in one hand, backpack over your shoulders. Other hand clinging onto Levi like he's your lifeline- maybe because he is.

Levi pushes open the cellar doors, and something that smells strongly of burning flesh hits your nose. You feel nauseous for a second and you keep your grip tight on Levi to keep yourself upright.

In the distance, towards the construction site, smoke is billowing up into the air. There's next to no zombies around you- Hange must've lured them to the explosion site like they said they would. The thought makes your stomach curl and you want to breakdown and cry again.

But Levi doesn't let you. "Let's go," he murmurs.

But... Hange. Maybe somehow they survived? Somehow, despite being in the core of the explosion, maybe they...

No. You're being foolish. 

You nod numbly, letting Levi pull you in the opposite direction of the explosion. He starts to jog, and you've got no choice but to let go of him and do the same. With a heavy heart, you turn your back on the smoking construction site and run after him, eyes stinging.

Hange. Hange, who had been nothing but welcoming, always had a smile on their face-

It should've been you. You should've been the one to come up with the plan, to lead the zombies away so that Levi and Hange could escape. It should've been you.

No. If Levi caught you thinking that, he'd yell at you.

It's done. There's nothing more you can do about it. 

Nothing except run.

You and Levi run into more zombies, obviously. Hange lured a good chunk of them away, but there's still more here and there as you and Levi make your way through the city. The further you get away from the construction area, the more there are; soon, you and Levi are at your 'hit-and-run' point rather than pausing to ensure a successful kill.

You don't know how long you keep running. You run until your lungs feel like they're going to collapse, taking down zombies until your arms feel too heavy to carry your axe.

At one point, you physically can't go on anymore. Gasping, you sink to the ground, the lack of oxygen stinging your lungs. "Sparks!" you hear Levi shout, but between the zombie growls, footsteps, and the ringing in your ears, it's just a messy cacophony of noise to your brain. 

You can't even figure out where the zombies are. Your head's spinning too badly.

There's a crash, and a body hits the ground right next to you. A hand seizes your arm and tugs you up; you scramble to your feet, choking on the air. You hear Levi call your name, and just like that, your head starts to clear.

His hand is on your shoulders, and you try to get rid of the ringing in your ears so that you can hear him. 

"Stay with me!" he's yelling, and he's a blur in front of your eyes. "God damn it, stay with me!"

And suddenly, his tone is a lot less urgency and a lot more pleading. Suddenly, stay with me sounds a lot more like don't leave me.

Right. Get your shit together, come on. "I can make it," you wheeze out, trying to nod. "I can- I can make it."