[1] Kolo: The Devil-Child

Those who saw her called her the devil-child even though she was neither a devil nor a child. Or maybe she was. No one could say for certain. She herself was certain of nothing.

She was small, not even five feet tall, and had perpetually unkempt white hair. Maintaining her appearance was not something she knew how to do. No one had ever taught her. She couldn't remember a mother, a father, or anyone permanent. Her life had only ever been an ever-changing sea of immemorable faces. Truly, the only permanent thing was the giant fang that dangled on a string around her neck. She couldn't remember who had given it to her, only that it was hers and it kept the ghosts away.

The morning was so cold it made her bones ache. Snow got in over the edges of her boots and her feet went numb. Her fang necklace shook as she ran down the village path. Every dwelling was quiet. She wondered if anyone lived here at all.

A call from one lodge answered her question. "Is that you, devil-child?"

She stopped and looked over.

An old woman leaned in the entryway. "Come closer, dear."

That confused her. Everyone always wanted her to go away. People she stayed with tended to disappear. Nevertheless, she stepped closer.

"Why don't you come in? You look cold." The old woman beckoned her. "You must be hungry too, poor thing."

It was true; she was cold and hungry. It had been days since the last village disappeared. Still, the devil-child hesitated. Why would anyone be kind to her when she only made people disappear and everyone knew it?

The old woman patted her shoulder. "It's all right, dear. And I'm lonely. Do you want me to be all alone?"

As she followed the old woman inside, she couldn't help but feel a tinge of irritation at her condescending tone. The little house only had one room, but it was warm enough. She tracked snow across the floor as she stepped in. Then she remembered vaguely from somewhere that people found that rude. She flushed a little, then reached out and closed the door without even lifting a limb.

The old woman looked astonished. "Did you do that, dear?"

The devil-child nodded and gave a small smile. A little tuft of white hair fell over her eyes.

"That was amazing." The old woman sat down in a chair that creaked beneath her weight. "What's your name?"

She looked to one side, then the other, then down at the floor. "Kolo," she said. That was her name. Like her necklace, she couldn't remember where it came from, only that it was hers.

"It's lovely to meet you, Kolo." The old woman leaned back. "Everyone here in Felltree calls me Nana. I might as well be everyone's grandmother." She gave a warm smile. "Want something to eat?"

Kolo nodded. "Please."

Nana stood up and ambled over to a cabinet on the wall. She opened it up and poked her wrinkled nose inside. "Let's see. Oh, that's no good. I'd better throw that out. Um...I have some dried venison. Does that sound good?"

"Yes," said Kolo.

"All right. I think so too." Nana returned and handed her a strip of dried meat. "I've got plenty more if you want it."

Kolo took a bite and felt more relaxed immediately. Maybe this Nana wasn't so bad. Her food was good, at least. She devoured the rest.