[34] Kolo: So It Will Be

You are the answer, Kolo. The blue eyes regarded her as if she were the colossal one. You are their brightest star.

The moment repeated endlessly as she slept. Thankfully, the Iron God had a voice she could never get tired of hearing.

If you hate what I left behind, then change it. Never settle. Now rise up and fight for what you want to see.

Rise up...rise up...

Those two words stammered over and over as the blue and darkness faded. Kolo opened her eyes slowly. A familiar ceiling swam into view. She lay under a heavy wool blanket. Her white hair was a mess against the pillow. A fluffy tabby cat was curled up between her neck and shoulder.

Kolo rubbed her eyes. "Hey Channei."

The cat opened its eyes and a purr rumbled deep in its chest.

"You're really cute as a cat." Kolo watched the cat jump off the bed. "Don't know if I've ever said that."

The cat stood up on its hind legs and stretched its shape back into the one Kolo recognized as Channei. "Good to know I'm at least cute in one shape." Her voice still had a hint of a purr.

"Correction." Kolo raised a finger. "You look cute in every shape except a dead village granny with a cabinet of disgusting expired food."

Channei put a hand over her mouth. Her cheeks turned bright red with embarrassment. At least, Kolo thought it was embarrassment. Then she gave a sweet smile. "Well, how's it feeling, big deal?"

Kolo sat up. As the blanket fell off, she saw she was wearing only a thin undershirt and pants. She looked under the shirt and saw someone had bandaged her. "I mean, considering everything, I actually feel..." She touched where she had stabbed herself. "Pretty good. Doesn't really hurt."

"Aza's been losing his nerves like you wouldn't believe." Channei pulled her blond hair back. "I swear. Every time he stops by, he's like a toddler trying to see if his sister's awake yet."

Kolo smirked. "What's that make you?"

Channei raised an eyebrow. "In any case, it's only been a day, a night, and another day, but he's driving me batty. I'm sure everyone else will be too, soon enough."

Kolo stood up shakily. She didn't trust her first few steps, but found that her strength returned with ease. "What are we waiting for?" She threw her coat on. "Let's remind them I'm still kicking."

The shapeshifter cleared her throat. "Girl, your hair is a mess."

Kolo glanced at herself in the mirror. Then she sneered. "Girl, your boot's come untied."

Channei glanced down at her feet and realized an instant later that she was only wearing socks. Then she scowled. "You're insufferable."

"And you love it." Kolo straightened her hair and pushed the door open. As she stepped out into the hallway, she noticed it was oddly quiet. No talking, no footsteps, nothing. Only a faint smell of baking bread. She looked back at Channei. "Where is everyone?"

"Probably everyone's asleep. The sun isn't even up yet." Channei shrugged. "Lalek got up a little while ago, though. She wanted to make bear bread for tomorrow."

Kolo raised an eyebrow. "What's bear bread?"

"The best, that's what." The shapeshifter grinned. "Lalek's own invention. It's all seedy and nutty with berries baked in, and you eat it with syrup." Channei took a deep breath in, trying to catch the aroma. "We'll be eating well tomorrow, for sure."