[6] Haode: Dead End Path

CW: physical abuse

The night was dark and frigid, even with the fire. Haode snapped a stick in his hands and tossed it to the flames. The wind shifted and blew stinging smoke into his eyes. He coughed.

            On the other side of the fire pit, his two bodyguards leaned against each other. They were brothers, both in their late teens physically, but like him, they could easily live for centuries or millennia without aging another day. He got up and out of the smoke. "You two all right?" he asked.

            They both looked up at him.

            "Put your hood up, Dakko," said Haode.

            "I'm not cold," Dakko insisted. His hand glowed white and ice crystals formed across his skin. "You know I don't get cold."

            Ido reached around and jolted his brother with a spark of electricity. Dakko yelped and smacked Ido. "Stop that!"

            Haode crouched down and glared at them. "Behave yourselves."

            They went dead silent.

            Haode settled down with them. "You two seem pretty energetic, considering you asked for a break tonight." He scratched his nearly-bald head. "We could be covering more ground right now."

            "We could," said Ido. "But you're the one who needs a break, Haode."

            Dakko extended an icicle from his hand and then smashed it against the ground. "You look really sick."

            Haode looked down. "I feel fine right now."

            "I noticed." Dakko formed another icicle and played with it. "It's good to have you back, boss."

            "Call me by my name," Haode chuckled.

            Ido brightened. "Was that a laugh I heard?"

            Haode took a deep breath and let himself smile for the first time in ages. A huge weight seemed to vanish from his shoulders. "Things are looking up," he said. "We're close. So close to finding that girl."

            "You think so?" Ido asked.

            "I know it," said Haode. "You saw her last night, didn't you?"

            "Never seen any other girl her size with white hair," said Ido.

            Haode looked up at the stars. They were bright and beautiful that night, like a vast gleaming ocean. "She'll be our salvation. I feel it."

            Dakko let out an icy breath like he'd been holding it for quite a while.

            "What's wrong?" Haode asked.

            Dakko clenched his hand and it crackled. "What if Styzia got to her first?"

            "No way," said Ido. "Styzia? Please. They're not true disciples of the Iron God. Not like us. Can we really even call them Ferash Therall?" He laughed. "We'll show them what we're made of."

            "Don't be mistaken. They might be idealistic bastards, but they're nothing trivial." Haode put his hands on the boys' shoulders. "They're very dangerous. Especially the two they call the masters. Avoid them at all costs. Understand?"

            "We're dangerous too." Ido grinned. "I'm sure we could..."

            Haode cut him off with a growl. "Do you understand?"