[21] Xigon: The Child Who Was Never

Dakko's speech grew less and less coherent as the pain medicine took hold. He clearly wasn't used to it like Xigon was. As the master's own pain faded back into being bearable, he used his power to push the boy down into sleep.

Of course, he'd had the bright idea earlier of putting the cot he never used away to save space. Xigon scolded himself, then reminded himself there was no way he could have expected the current predicament. He looked around his study for something he could use to keep Dakko more comfortable in his sleep. Briefly, he considered removing the padding from his wheelchair. He needed to replace it anyway, flattened and worn as it was, but he knew he still needed it. His body wouldn't negotiate like his mind did.

Instead, Xigon took his green coat off, folded it, and put it under Dakko's head. That would have to do for now, he thought. Before leaving, he left a note on a shred of parchment.

I will be back after meeting with your brother. For your own safety, do not leave this room.

He put the note down next to the sleeping boy, got up into his wheelchair, and set out to see the other brother.

As he wheeled himself out into the hallway, he noticed a bat on the ceilling. He squinted at it for a moment to make sure his eyes weren't tricking him. Then he tapped his foot on the footrest. "I know it's you, Channei. Get down from there."

The bat plopped onto the floor and then stretched itself into a more familiar human shape. Channei stood up and extended her slender arms. "You look even more colossal when I'm that tiny." She forced a smile as she turned her eyes greenish and glared daggers at him. "Good to see the real me, though?"

"Everything you show the world is an illusion. The real you isn't something anyone can see with their eyes." Xigon edged closer. "Isn't that right, Channei? Now please, let me through."

Channei grabbed his shoulders. "Master, please. Don't hurt those kids." Her tone grew frantic. "I just want them to be safe from the real threat."

Xigon pulled one glove off and wrapped his fingers around Channei's wrist. Her head sank and all her breath let out in a huff. His barehanded touch was enough to silence anyone in seconds, no matter how panicked. He kept his voice level. "Are you ready to listen?"

Channei managed to nod. She took a deep breath in when he released his grip. A faint vacant smile tugged at her lips before her glare returned. "They're victims, Master. Not enemies. What's even there to discuss?"

"Even though he harms them, those boys are attached to their leader. Deeply, firmly attached. There's no telling what they might do if, say, he comes back for them, or they manage to get their hands on Kolo." He looked up. "Should they so much as even attempt to capture or otherwise harm her, I expect you to intervene. Do you understand?"

"Yes, Master." Channei took a step back and let go of him. "Though I have a question."

"I might have an answer." He put his glove back on.

"Why is Kolo so important? Don't get me wrong, I adore her. But you never got this passionate about protecting anyone else, did you?" The shapeshifter cocked her head. "What's special about her?"

Xigon had an answer in his mind, but he knew it wouldn't make sense to anyone but himself. Instead, he said something else true. "I should have taken such care with all of you." He waved his hand. "I really need to get through, though."

"Where are you going?" She got in his way quite deliberately.

"To see Ido. He's where I told you to put him, right?"