[29] Kolo: Warmth in the Darkest Place

The moon was nearly full. Torrential freezing rain and sleet hammered the walls. Nearly all of them had taken refuge in the girls' room that night, as it was the warmest. Through the mirror, Kolo watched Channei punch the sandbag. "I hate rain," Channei snarled.

Kolo cocked her head. "Go outside, then."

Channei half-laughed and half-barked. "I'd punch you right now if Lalek hadn't made you look so damn pretty."

Kolo ran a hand through her now much-shorter white hair. "I guarantee I'd punch you harder," she smirked. "Thanks again, Lalek. I've never really been good at cutting my own hair."

"Of course." Lalek beamed. "You'd better look fantastic for your second ascension, don't you think?"

Dakko mumbled something under his blanket.

Lalek turned. "What was that?"

    Rizval interpreted. "He wants to know if you can cut his hair too sometime."

    "Oh, sure." The muscular woman smiled. "Don't mind at all."

    Kolo went over and sat down next to Dakko, pulling his blanket off enough that she could see his timid face. "Are you cold?"

    Dakko averted his eyes. "I don't get cold."

    She knew it was a lie. Azvalath had told Kolo earlier about how he'd found Dakko on the floor crying in pain, and how the poor boy's eyes had frozen shut with his tears. Even now, his cheeks were still red and inflamed. "You can be honest with us, you know."

    Dakko pulled his knees in toward his chest. "But I'm not supposed to..." He paused and rubbed his hideously scarred neck. "If anyone knows I'm hurt, they'll only make it worse for me. Right?"

    "No." Kolo shook her head. "Not us, we won't." She looked over to the corner where Azvalath and Ido sat playing a game. "You know, I used to think there were monsters here too."

    Dakko looked over there too. "Really?"

    "Hm." Kolo crossed her legs. "I think we're all a lot like you. A bunch of scared lost kids who'll do just about anything to stay alive."

    The boy looked down. From the corner, Azvalath gasped and Ido burst out laughing. It was the first time Kolo had ever heard him laugh. Dakko's lips lifted in a small smile. Then he sighed an icy breath. "I am cold, actually."

    "There we go." Channei gave the sandbag one last smack and then flopped onto her mattress. "I'm cold too."

    Dakko gave a nervous chuckle. "I think we all are."

    Kolo grabbed a blanket and pulled it around herself. Truth be told, she had never felt warmer than she did now.

    A knock at the door startled all of them. "Hey, sorry, were we being too loud?" Lalek called.

    "Oh, not at all." Master Qila came in with a stack of cups and a steaming pot of tea. She set them down on Channei's desk. "Sorry. I don't mean to intrude. Carry on." The old woman made a hasty exit.

    "Thanks!" Kolo called, but Qila didn't respond.

    "What's this?" Rizval got up to go sniff the teapot. "Oh, that's perfect. My favorite." They poured a cup and then took a long sip. "Everyone, it's the good stuff tonight."

    Kolo came over and filled each cup, adding a little bit extra to her own. When she tried a sip, the taste was rich and earthy with a hint of warm spice. "That's really good," she agreed. "What did she brew it with?"

    "You'll never get an answer on that." Rizval smirked. "She says it's top secret."

    "Oh, the secret tea?" Azvalath got up from the game, clearly in the middle of his turn, if Ido's protest was any indication. "Can't say no to that."