[28] Haode: The Luxury of Looking the Other Way

Days without Dakko and Ido dragged on into weeks. Even so, Haode felt as if his old strength were returning. Whatever Sothyrion had done brought clarity to his mind, clarity that Haode had long lacked. Most of what carried him, though, was the fact he had defeated Channei. That Styzian filth was almost certainly dead now, or at the very least, suffering immensely.

It served Channei right, Haode thought. Anyone who thought they could tear his boys from his side and deny him his only hope deserved agony.

Haode had made it to the Wash with his head held high. He'd found Pileated Woodpecker and her children again. They had taken up refuge in the lodge of a young councilman named Staffen. Haode joined them there after passing himself off as another lost traveler. Now he and Peck sat at the upstairs window and watched the children play outside.

"Quite a snowball battle they've got going." Peck chuckled and took a sip of steaming tea. "Looks like Wren's winning."

Haode tried to smile. "Ido and Dakko used to play like that when they were smaller." He leaned back in his chair. "Nowadays, Dakko is usually in too much pain."

"He's the one who walks funny?" Peck asked. "Sorry. I only met them briefly."

"Mm-hm." Haode folded one leg over his lap. "Dakko gets ice crystals in his joints. His feet are all mangled, too. He gives himself frostbite. Poor boy's fighting for his life every day." He cast his eyes down. "Always in pain."

Peck gave him a grave look. "Why are you forcing him to go on, then?"

Haode shifted in his chair. "Because it's what he wants."

"When we get your boys back," said Peck, "Dakko needs an end to his misery. It's not fair to him or to Ido to prolong his suffering any longer."

Haode glowered. "You have no right to be talking about Dakko like he's some sick dog."

The woman set her cup down. "All I'm saying is..."

"Imagine if he were your child," he interrupted. "Then you wouldn't even consider it, would you?"

"I suppose you have a point." Peck stretched her arms. Then the children started yelling outside. "Bah, what's their problem now? If you'll excuse me, I'll be back."

Haode watched her leave the room and felt slight relief at being left alone. He let out his breath in a long sigh and let his eyes close for a moment. Right as he started to relax, though, the back of his neck itched. When he scratched it, it intensified to pins and needles that crawled down to his shoulders.

Irritated, Haode opened his eyes. Then he had to cover his mouth with both hands to stop himself from screaming. He was back in that dark room with the lantern. With Xigon staring down at him.

Haode bared his teeth. "What in freezing hell are you doing here?"

Xigon's eyebrows rose. He looked around and blinked a few times, as if trying to wake from a dream. "Why do I keep seeing you when I sleep?" The tall man crouched in front of Haode. "You seem to be in less pain, at least."

"I'm cured." Haode straightened. "Sothyrion cured me."

Xigon shook his head. "Sothyrion's blessing is only temporary, I'm afraid." He gave Haode a grave look. "I can only hope it will last as long as you live."

"Bold of you to assume I'll be dying anytime soon." Haode's voice cracked mid-sentence. His heart was beating faster. He swallowed hard. "Remember what happened to Channei when she thought she could cross me?"

Xigon gave a calm, cold nod. "Channei is recovering, but you nearly killing her is what solidified my decision. Should we ever cross paths, I cannot allow you to live."