Pilot

Aria made her way into the Wilkerson house and as usual it was filled with shouting and arguing. Lois was shaving hair off of Hal as the boys came barreling out into the kitchen shoving each other out of the way.

“There are only two toaster waffles, one of you has to have cereal.” Lois told the boys, causing them to race to the fridge.

“Morning, Wilkersons.” Aria greeted them, they said their hellos before going back to their business. The young girl was always there in fact they were practically her second family. Aria made her way to the table and sat in between Malcolm and Dewey.

“Huh, look at this. They’re sending an unmanned probe to Venus and letting a bunch of school children name it.” Hal said, showing the newspaper to his wife, “Well, that’s going to end badly.”

“It always seems like a shame to just dump this in the trash. Maybe some birds would like to nest in it or, I don’t know, maybe the kids could use it for school projects.” Lois suggested, the kids all made a face of disgust, they wanted nothing to do with the hair that came off of Hal. “Arms up.”

Hal lifted his arms and Aria was quick to look away and cover her eyes, the boys however caught a glimpse causing them to make noises of disgust. The adults paid no attention as they continued with their tasks.

“Malcolm, come right home from school. I made a playdate for you with Stevie Kenarban and you have to take a bath.” Lois told her son, causing his eyes to widen.

“What? Mom, no!” Malcolm said loudly in disbelief.

“Malcolm has a playdate?” Reese laughed.

“Shut up, Reese!”

“With Stevie ‘The Wheelie’ Kenarban? Oh, man!” continued Reese, who laughed at his younger brother.

“Why is playing a problem for you?” Hal asked as he looked down over his glasses at his sons and placed his foot on the table straightening his leg for Lois to shave.

“First off, I don’t even know Stevie.”

“I saw his mother at the grocery store, she said you boys ate lunch together.”

“One time. He rolled his wheelchair right next to me and Aria, it’s not like we can say go away.” complained Malcolm, “He’s not even in my class. He’s in the Krelboyne class in the trailer next to tetherball.”

“You listen to me, young man. That one lunch obviously meant something to Stevie. He’s a human being with human feelings.” His mother snapped, “Now, you are going to be friends with that crippled boy and you are going to like it. Understood?”

“Yes, ma’am. Understood.” The boy sighed before turning to his best friend, “But only if you come with me.”

“What?” Aria asked, she hadn’t been paying attention, she was eating some of Malcolm’s toaster waffle. 

“You’re coming with me to hangout with Stevie Kenarban.” She just shrugged and nodded before she threw a piece of the waffle at Reese for trying to give her a wet willy.

“You kids. . . you just take your legs for granted, you know?” Lois began to go on a rant about all the things that could happen to their legs and how they should be grateful, they were grateful for their legs they just didn’t want a lecture.

“I don’t take my legs for granted, Mom.” Dewey, the youngest, said sweetly.

“I know you don’t, honey, you’re a good boy.” Lois looked over at her youngest son, “Stop playing with yourself.” Aria scrunched her nose and the boys quickly grabbed their stuff for school before racing out the door, yelling as always.