Poker

Aria sat with Malcolm and Stevie in the boys’ room doing her homework as Malcolm complained about his teacher.

“I can’t believe Mr. Herkabe let you do a video project instead of a paper.” He said to Stevie.

“You could’ve. . . asked.”

“I don’t have parents rich enough to buy me a video camera.” Malcolm narrowed his eyes at the camera for a moment before turning his attention back to his friends.

“Rich. . . and compensating.”

“You know, you could’ve asked my dad to borrow our camera.” Aria pointed out as she sat on Reese’s bed, not taking her eyes off her math homework. It was one of the rare times she knew what she was doing.

“Seriously?” Malcolm groaned as he now realized it was too late for him to switch. “I don’t even know what to write about. I mean, what’s your movie gonna be about?”

“The creative. . . process. You writing. . . your paper.” Stevie pointed the camera at Malcolm.

“Is that thing on? Turn it off!”  Malcolm snapped, “I don’t even have an idea yet. You’re going to make me look like an idiot. I’m serious!”

Malcolm tried to reach for the camera but Stevie kept it out of his reach, Malcolm getting more frustrated with every second. “This is. . . great. Now knock. . . me over.”

Aria tried to tune them out but their constant struggle and fighting was getting on her last nerves. She finally closed her notebook, using her homework to mark her spot, and snatched the camera out of Stevie’s hands.

“Okay, that’s enough. Stevie, you should’ve asked Malcolm if you could film him for your project. Malcolm, take a deep breath and back up.” Aria scolded the two and they raised their hands in surrender.

“Sorry, Malcolm.” Stevie grumbled after the girl gave him a look.

“I’m sorry too, Stevie.” 

Aria gave a short nodd and began to pack things into her backpack. “Now that that’s settled. I’ve gotta go, Daphne signed us up for dance lessons as a way to bond.”

“Do you even know how to dance?” Malcolm asked, confused.

“No, but I didn’t have the heart to tell her. She just looked so excited.” Aria sighed and threw her bag over her shoulder. “I’ll see you guys later.”

Aria walked past Hal, who seemed to be happy about something, when she passed the kitchen she heard Lois talking about dance lessons.

“Great, now who am I gonna go with?” She thought out loud.

Dewey and Aria glanced at the side door as it opened and Reese walked in not paying attention. The two shared a look and Dewey was quick to throw him into the line of fire. “Did Reese finish his homework yet?”

“Of course I finished my homework.” Reese quickly defended.

“Good. you can come to dance class with me.” 

“What? No, I was lying. I didn’t finish my homework.” The boy tried to back track. “I don’t even know what my homework is!”

“Go get your shoes.” Lois left to get ready and noticed Aria. “Oh, hey, are you heading out?”

“Yeah, Daphne and I are taking dance lessons too.” Aria informed the older woman.

“Oh, isn’t that great? Now we’ll know someone in class.” Lois said to Reese before she continued on her way to her bedroom.