Monkey

Aria had heard about the break in that had happened at the Wilkerson house and how Reese took out the burglar with a baseball bat. Apparently, the police were holding an award ceremony for his heroic act and Aria and her dad were invited to go.

The ceremony was great and Aria went with the Wilkersons seeing as her dad had to quickly get to work.

“And then, after the award ceremony they gave me a tour of the police station. Did you know that the mirrors in the interrogation room are two-way? It’s a good thing they didn’t have that before.” Reese said to Hal as they walked into the house.

“‘For heroism and meritorious action.’” Lois read the plaque proudly, “Reese, I’m so proud of you.”

“Congrats, Reese.” Aria smiled.

“Thanks.” The two shared a smile and they stared at each other for a minute before Aria cleared her throat and looked towards Malcolm and Dewey.

“Okay, Dewey, are you finally going to be able to sleep tonight?” Malcolm asked his little brother. Ever since the break in Dewey had been too scared to sleep and has been clinging to Malcolm for comfort. “You saw all the policemen and how strong the bars are.”

“Yeah, but –”

“And you saw that the police station is much too big for a helicopter to carry it away to a secret hideout under the sea.”

“But –”

“No buts, Dewey. That guy is in a jail cell. He’s not going anywhere.” Malcolm assured.

“I wouldn’t bet on it.” Reese spoke up, “With our legal system he’s probably back in the streets right now.”

Aria quickly elbowed Reese’s side and gave him a look, Dewey gasped in horror and Malcolm tried to calm him down.

“Did you have to tell him that?” Aria hissed to the older boy. Reese shrugged and turned to his parents.

“Mom, Dad, this whole thing got me thinking. I mean, usually those cops are throwing me in the back of their squad cars, but today they were all clapping for me.”

“Well, you’re a real hero.” Lois praised. 

“And it was really cool, you know, protecting you guys, saving your lives.”

“Thanks again.” Hal sent his son a tight smile.

“And it’s made me realize for the first time in my life, I know what my purpose is. I think I found my calling.” Reese said as he placed the hat that the police gave him on his head. “Mom, Dad, I want to be a pig.”

A little while later Aria walked home, Reese walking her like always, and she was happy to see that he knew what he wanted to do in the future.

~~~

Aria sat in the music room with her bandmates strumming her guitar as they discussed last minute adjustments to their song. In a couple of weeks they were going to be performing and they wanted it to be perfect because it was their last performance before they went to New York.

“How many songs did he say were able to play?” Aria asked.

“I think two but I can ask tomorrow to make sure.” Emma answered, writing a reminder for herself in her notebook.

“So, we’ll sing an original and a cover like we did at Cynthia’s party.”

“Sounds like a plan.”

They were essentially done with practice and had been for a while, they were just hanging out with each other. They had a sleepover planned and were waiting to get picked up by Maggie’s mom, it’d been forever since they had a sleepover.