The Grandparents

It was the weekend and Aria sat in the boys room as they argued over something stupid, again. 

“Aria, whose tongue is longer?” Malcolm asked the girl and the both brothers stuck out their tongues. Aria looked between both and shrugged.

“I have no clue.”

Both boys groaned and walked out, Aria followed because they were her only source of entertainment at the moment. They continued to argue as they walked into the kitchen where Lois was holding a packet of meat over the sink.

“Nuh-uh!”

“Uh-huh!”

“We’ll let mom settle this. The loser licks the tub drain.” Reese said.

“Deal.” Malcolm accepted, “Mom, who’s tongue’s longer?”

Again both boys stuck out their tongues and Lois sighed but they were all startled when there was banging on one of the windows. They looked over to see Lois’ parents standing on the front porch looking into the window.

“Are you going to make us stand out here all day?!” Lois’ father, Victor, shouted.

“Mom! Dad!” Lois greeted her parents with a strained smile.

“Oh, my God, honey! Your parents are here!” Hal whispered loudly as he ran into the kitchen crouched down and gestured for them to do the same. He noticed them all staring behind him and that’s when he saw his in-laws staring at him through the window. He quickly stood and pretended that he was waving to the older couple. Lois and Hal moved to open the door for them.

“Dewey, your grandparents are here.” Lois called for her youngest son before opening the door. “Hey, come on in.”

“So, this is certainly unexpected.” Hal said as he held his hand out for Victor to shake but was ignored. “What brings you all the way down from Canada?”

“Wait a minute, this can’t be Reese.” Victor stood in front of the three middle schoolers.

“Yep.” Reese nodded. Reese was Victor’s favorite grandchild and Ida didn’t like any of them.

“What’s the matter with you? Don’t you clean behind your ears? Look what I found.” The old man pulled out money from behind the boy’s ear.

“Ha-ha, five bucks! Thanks, Grandpa.”

“So, Grandpa, did you have a nice drive down?” Malcolm politely asked the man.

“Huh?”

“I said, did you have a nice drive down?” He repeated.

“I can’t hear this one. He sounds like girl.” The man grunted.

“So, you just decided to hop in the car and drive down from Canada without calling ahead, huh? How fun!” Lois forced a smile.

“Yeah, how long do you think you’ll be staying?”

“If we’re such a big inconvenience, we go right now.” Ida said as the two stepped towards the door.

“No. No, no, no, no, no.” Hal and Lois repeated in usion.

“Please. Don’t be silly.” Lois noticed Dewey. “Uh, Dewey, you remember your grandparents, don’t you, sweetie?”

Dewey looked at the elderly couple with wide eyes before running away, he clearly remembered them. The old man grunted and noticed Aria standing next to Malcolm.

“Is that Aria Blake I see?”

“Hi, Mr. Welker.” Aria greeted the man politely.

“Still kicking their ass?” Victor nodded towards the boys, Aria smirked a little as she nodded her head.