Stupid Girl

“Morning, Wilkersons and Stevie.” Aria greeted as she strolled into the Wilkerson home. They all gave their usual greetings.

Stevie was staying at the Wilkersons house for a week while his parents were in Hawaii. Lois loved having him over and hoped that his manners would rub off the boys, though she doubted it.

“Morning, Aria. How’s your dad?” Hal asked.

“He’s doing alright. He stayed at Daphne’s last night while Scott and Thomas came over to stay the night.”

“I’m glad to hear they’re still together.” Lois smiled before grabbing mustard and spreading it on a slice of baloney. “Hal, I don’t have any bread for Dewey’s sandwich. You’re going to have to stop by the market on your way to school.”

“No problem.”

“Or you could just give me money for a hot lunch.” Dewey suggested.

“Don’t be silly. Those things aren’t nutritious.” Lois added another slice of baloney before wrapping it in saran wrap and tossing it into a brown paper bag. “Alright, let’s go. You’re going to be late.”

~~~

“So, we’re playing at the dance?” 

Emma had informed the girls that the principal had asked them to play a couple songs at the upcoming dance. They were all excited, it was going to be their first high school performance and they were eager to play at another dance. 

Aria had mentioned to them briefly on the first day of school that Robbie played guitar and now they were urging her to ask if he’d join them to play a few songs. Which, apparently, he was more than happy to do. Robbie was going to officially meet the others at band practice after school and Aria was dreading the teasing comments she was sure were going to follow.

Aria walked over and stood next to Stevie as the bell rang, she watched the train wreck of Malcolm talking to a girl, Alison, he had been crushing on for a while. It was hard to watch but almost impossible to pull her eyes away.

“Well, uh, see you neighbor. And keep your damn dog off my lawn!” Malcolm attempted to joke but was failing miserably.

“I- I don’t have a dog.” Alison stated confused.

“No, no. I was kidding. Because we’re neighbors and sometimes neighbors have problems with their dogs going. . .” Malcolm trailed off for a moment before stumbling over his words. He tried explaining his joke and tried to clarify that he wasn’t insulting her but it was just a mess.

“Uh, I have to go to gym now.” Alison finally said before walking away.

“What is wrong with me?” groaned Malcolm as he made his way over to his two best friends.

“How long. . . you got?” Stevie rolled his eyes and Aria suppressed her laugh.

“I always ruin everything. Even with a perfect girl like Alison.” Malcolm ignored them.

“Alison’s a moron.” 

“She’s not the problem. It’s me. I just overthink everything. I can’t even carry on a normal conversation without screwing it up. Why won’t my brain just let me be happy?” Malcolm continued to whine.

“Maybe she’s high or something.” Aria said after a moment before something caught her eye. “What’s Reese doing?”

Reese stood at the water fountain giggling as he played with the water. Stevie and Malcolm just shrugged and rolled their eyes before continuing on their way to class, Aria lingered for a moment as she watched him amused before shaking her head and following them.