Chapter 2

It was really boring without my parents here honestly. Not many teenagers say that. I wondered around my house, admiring the family photos, and drawings my mom sketched. She dedicated a whole wall of her art in the office.

Speaking of the office, I flew my chair around in circles, sipping my Coke and absolutely bored outta my mind. I checked my phone time to time to see any notifications, but nothing popped up. There was truly nothing to do.

I collapsed on my bed and decided to text Ethan.

[Sam: Hey]
[Ethan: Hi, what's up?]
[Sam: I'm bored.]
[Ethan: That's surprising coming from you.]
[Sam: Lol, yeah. So what time should I see ya?]
[Ethan: They're playing the 80's marathon tomorrow night at 6. Is that okay?]
[Sam: Yep. Are you picking me up?]
[Ethan: Yeah. It's miles away from here, so I'll pick you up around 4.]
[Sam: Got it. I found something to do.]
[Ethan: That's good, have fun :p]
[Sam: See you tomorrow! I can't wait!]

I shut off my phone and hurried to my scrapbook sitting on my desk. It was filled with photographs I took since I was 12. I wasn't a very artsy or crafty person, so the decorations weren't the best, but I was proud of it nonetheless. One photo always manages to catch my eye- a copy of my parent's wedding picture. It was tucked in the pocket at the back. Mom was so beautiful in her wedding dress. Dad was handsome in his suit. I wish I was there to see it. Technically, I was as a baby, but y'know.

I printed out the sunrise from this morning and glued it to the "Sunny Skies" section. So far I have 15 sunsets and sunrises.

"2030-09-06" I recorded below the photo. I like to keep track of all the dates.

Riiing! I closed the book and head off downstairs to answer the phone.

"Hello?" I greeted.

"Hey Sam," my Dad welcomed. "How are you?"

"Fine, how about Mom?"

"She's not done her appointment yet, but I think she's okay."

"Alright," I sighed relief.

"Just wanted to see if you're okay." Dad chuckled. "I'll call you up when we're done."

"Bye, I love you." I smiled.

"Love you too."

*****

Later that night, I received no call or text from Dad. Maybe his phone died? I dunno. I keep thinking to myself that they're a-okay, fine and dandy, hip and hop, but I still have that gut feeling in me that something's wrong.

I try to brush it off and read a book, but it won't go away. I called Dad. No answer.

I almost jumped when I heard the jingle of keys at the door. The door unlocked and Dad emerged from the cold breeze outside.

"Hi Dad!" I said, putting down my phone and rushing to hug him, only stopping to realize Mom isn't there.

"Hey sweetie." He mumbled, flying his jacket on the coat hanger and untying his shoes.

"Where's Mom?"

His gloomy eyes kept to his feet, avoiding the question.

"Dad?" My concern grew.

He sat beside me, reaching out to the remote.

I let out a frustrated sigh and held his arm. "You're not like this. Please stop pretending I'm not here and answer my question."

He hesitated before finally giving in. "...She's staying at the hospital because she's sick."

"Sick?" I glimpsed into his teary blue eyes, dread washing over me.

"Yes. Sorry if we- I- came home late. I'm sure you had leftovers from last night." He mumbled, switching through the channels.

"Dad, something seriously bad happened, I can tell," I fiddled nervously with my fingers. "You're acting weird."

He rubbed his forehead stressfully. "Stay here."

He came back with a handful of papers in his hand. "Just read it."

After he handed it to me, I instantly skimmed through the document. Then a word caught my eye... It stood out among the others. I couldn't believe my eyes, but the longer I stared at it, the more tears welled down my cheek.

"I'm so sorry, Sam." Sean choked up. "...I'm so sorry."