Chapter 5

"Sam, wake up!" Ethan shook me by the shoulders.

"Huh, what?" I dazed. The end credits of Terminator played, signalling the end of another movie.

"It's 10:50. There's still one more movie left, so I thought I would wake you."

I got up from his shoulder, where I fallen asleep. He must've really liked that. "Thanks."

"Are you really that tired? I thought since it was an 80's marathon, you would be wide awake the whole time."

I rubbed my eyes. "I just didn't get enough sleep yesterday."

"Oh," he said. "Why?"

Did he really need to know? It's troubling enough with just me and Dad, I shouldn't add to Ethan's problems. He's got enough to worry about. "My mattress feels like a brick, that's all."

He looked like he wasn't convinced, but nodded anyway.

I stretched and yawned. My phone buzzed several notifications from Mom hours and hours ago... wait, she texted me?!

"Hold on, Ethan-" I stood up quickly and dialled Mom's phone number. "Pick up, pick up..." I murmured as if she could hear me.

With no luck, there was no answer. I called several times. Still no response. The texts were nothing special, just a simple "hi" and "how's it going, sweetie", but I guess I'm just worrying too much.

"Something wrong?" Ethan worried.

"No." I whined, my eyes still attached to the screen.

"If you need any help or comforting, I'm always here."

"I appreciate it..." I'm puzzled. Wouldn't Mom spend time learning about her prosthetic instead of talking to me? I'm confused and worried. I don't know why, but a little tear escaped.

"Are you okay?" Ethan reached out.

"I'm fine, I'm fine." I brushed away his hand.

"Are you sure everything's fine?"

"Just leave me alone," I bitterly muttered, wiping away the tear. What am I crying about? There's nothing to worry about. "I'm sure you don't want to hang out with someone who's emotionally weak."

"Who says you're emotionally weak?" Ethan hopped off the car hood, slowly marching up to me. "Everyone cries, it's a natural human response."

"Dude, I'm worried sick about something that's already been resolved, yet I cry about it! I'm pathetic." I swallowed back sadness. C'mon Sam, don't break down here and now.

"No you're not," he swiftly takes my hand. "Talk about that something you're worried about and maybe you'll feel better about it."

I bit my lip. Would talking about it really make me feel better? "Okay, yesterday I found out my Mom had cancer in her leg. She got it amputated overnight and..." I took a big breath. Talking while crying is difficult. " ...and she got sent to a nursing home today. She texted me hours ago and I wanted to call her now so I can hear her sweet voice again..."

Ethan nodded along.

"And because," I rubbed my nose. "I feel bad for not responding."

He pulled me into his embrace. "Aw Sam, I'm sorry. Just think how grateful you are that you didn't lose your Mom. I'm sure she's forgiving and I bet she'll contact you in the morning. Things will get better."

Things will get better. What's up with that phrase? I heard it several times now in the past two days. I'm probably just going crazy...

"Sam?" Ethan nudged my arm. "You feel better?"

No, I just want him to leave me alone. "Yeah."

He shifted his lips up to my ear and whispered "Back To The Future's next."

My eyes lit up and I squealed with excitement. "You know me too well."

"Well, let's get back to the car, specifically indoors. It's a bit chilly out here."

*****

"Sam."

"What?" I whipped my head around, trying to find the mixes of voices calling my name in the white abyss that I stood in.

"Sam." They repeated with emotionless tones.

"What is it?!" I snapped, spinning around. Then I spotted my Mom, in the condition that I last saw her; hopelessly lying in a gurney. The closer I approached her, I got a better look. Her bones were much more frail and her skin was more dry. Her hair appeared more dull and so did her eyes.

"Sam." She outspoken the other voices.

"Mom," I reached out for her hand, but it cracked upon contact. "Mom?!"

"Sam."

"What's happening?!" I panicked, watching her skin crack like a concrete sidewalk.

"Sam." She spoke before everything blacked out.

"Sam!" Ethan raised his voice into my ear. "Wakey, wakey!"

I shifted away from the strong hands that disturbed my nightmare. I guess this is one of the only few times I'm glad someone woke me up.

"Sam, you're panting. Did you have a nightmare?"

"...No." I lied.

"Okay, my Mom made pancakes if you're up to it." He trotted out of his room.

I slept at his house for the night. He offered me to sleep on his bed and he was willing to sleep on the floor. His bedsheets were coated with his scent and the pillows were like marshmallows. Without that nightmare, I would've had a good-night's sleep.

I checked my phone for any messages. It was 10:05, no response. Unless she's practicing how to get used to her prosthetic leg, surely my mom would text me by now.

I head downstairs and inhaled the smell of buttered pancakes caked with syrup. Dad made the best breakfasts... I started to feel homesick.

"Good morning, you two." Ethan's mother chimed.

I nodded and checked my phone once more. Then a notification caught my eye- it was Dad.

[Sean: Sam, I need you back home immediately. Gather your things. I'll pick you up soon.]

"Uh," I stuttered. "I'm afraid I won't have time to eat my pancakes. My Dad's picking me up soon."

"Oh, is it an emergency?"

"I think so." I rushed upstairs and scrambled to get all my things together. I heard the sound of a car parking up. I dashed downstairs and sprinted by Ethan and his mom. "Bye!" I yelled.

I crashed into the passenger seat and slammed the door shut. Dad drove off instantly.

*****

All I could see ahead was the strip of the highway and acres of bright yellow canola. I glimpsed outside the car into the familiar lands and fields of Ireland. There's too many damn farms around here. They remind me of my grandparents who live in a cabin in the middle of nowhere. Every Sunday I visit them. Sometimes they get annoying with their super goody optimistic attitude all the time, but I could use that positivity now. I think we could all use some positivity at this point.

The silence was killing me, and so was the worry. "What's wrong?" I questioned once I built up the courage to do so. I was on the edge of my seat.

He was struggling to hold tears back in. Seeing Dad cry made my heart sank. "You'll know." He choked out.

My heart pounded with worry. All I could do for now is just sit and stare outside, hoping that this nightmare will be over soon.