Chapter 6

Once we arrived at her room, Mom had looked way worse than before. She appeared exactly like the Mom I knew in my dream; dry skin, greasy and tangled hair, red eyes and frail bones. It was so surreal, I almost lost my balance the moment I saw her.

"Sweetie," she breathed out, reaching her hand towards me. "It's me."

Dad pushed my back gently, beckoning me to approach her. I stumbled towards her, still gaping in awe about my dream.

"Cm'here." She pulled me into a hug. I was hesitant, as if she'll crack up and disappear.

"Y-You're..." I couldn't even speak. If her appearance is connected to the dream then why did she crack up? Is it a metaphor for... oh God.

"Hey sweetie, I'm fine for now." She patted my head.

Fine for now? What's that supposed to mean?!

"Oh honey," Dad spat. "Why?"

"Sean, I'm sorry." She coughed.

Dad bit his knuckle and quickly wiped away the tear that dripped down his cheek. "Why you? Why not me, for God's sake?!"

I winced. He was always careful about his curse words around me.

Mom frowned, fiddling with her fingers. "It's... we should not talk about this around Sam. We'll tell her when she's ready."

Dad nodded, gripping my hand tightly and almost yanked me out of the room. "Sorry Sam... This..."

What? But Mom, Dad? Cancer? I was so confused. I couldn't even think straight.

"Stay out of earshot, okay? Here," he scrunched a $20 bill in my hand. "Go get some food and wait for me in the food court, okay? That's in the basement."

I nodded, hiding away the tears tucked under my eyes. I hurried around the corner, away from the madness. I need a break, some time to calm down. Everything is happening too fast.

*****

[Ethan: So what was the emergency about?]
I sat there staring at the screen, trying to figure out what to say.

I jumped when Dad sat across from me. His lips were quivering.

"Is it time?" I said.

He nodded, intertwining his fingers with mine. He lead into the elevators and to my Mom's room. My heart was pounding so fast, and I couldn't balance on my two feet. I was surprised myself when I reached Mom without falling down.

"Sam, go sit down." My Dad commanded.

I sat down in the cushion, resting my dizzy head. I was so light-headed with the desire to go home, to be wrapped in the blankets of my own bed, away from the troubles of the world.

"You okay?" Mom asked. "You look worse than I do."

My heart sank. "Just a head-rush."

She nodded. "I know this isn't an easy discussion to talk about. You know I have cancer, and you know that cancer's very easy to cure, but..."

But what? What is it? What's wrong?

"...But it's too late."

My eyes widened. A tsunami of dread drowned me. It was hard to breathe, hard to focus.

"How?" I barely whispered, tears welling up. "How?!" I shouted at the top of my lungs.

Dad stood at the doorway, wiping his eyes. Mom stared at me, heartbroken and shedding tears of her own.

I shut my eyes closed and curled up into a ball. This can't be happening.

*****

But it's too late.

You know I have cancer.

You look worse than I do.

I'm fine for now.

I shifted and turned in bed. My eyes burned, my pillow was soaked with tears. My fingers are still trembling. I'm having trouble accepting this whole day.

Mom's going to die. All her beauty, her experiences, her belongings, her dreams... all gone.

I changed positions once again and spotted my cross bracelet. Is God really true? Does he exist? Even if he does, how come he isn't helping my Mom...?

I tossed the bracelet across the room and hid under the blanket. Are miracles true? I'm not sure, but it'll be a miracle if I even drift off to sleep...

*****

"Sam?" Miss Kylie Steele boomed.

"Uh, sorry, what's the question?" I dazed, blushing from the judgemental eyes of my classmates.

Ms. Steele sighed. "This is grade 8 review, are you listening? What's seven x + eight = fifty-seven?"

I tried searching through my memory. "Uh... x = six?"

"Not quite," she turned her back to write on the board, giving us another lecture on how to do algebra. "The answer's seven, because seven times seven equals forty-nine, plus..."

I tuned her out. I heard giggling from the back, and sensed the smart ones rolling their eyes. Ugh, I should know simple grade 8 questions... Shamefully, I hid my face in embarrassment. If I can't pass simple review questions, how can I pass high school? Stupid education, stupid me.

Thankfully, class was over soon after that. The lunch bell rang throughout the school. I jumped up from my desk, strapped on my backpack and carried my books as I stumbled to rush out of here.

"Sam, come here please." Ms. Steele demanded.

I sighed, spinning around to her desk. "Yes?"

"You look tired today, and not focused. Is everything okay at home?"

I gulped. "Everything's fine, I just couldn't sleep last night because the dog's barking and the car alarms going off..."

She flashed an unconvinced glare. "Okay, but feel free to talk to me if something's wrong, okay?"

I nodded, then rushed out of the classroom. I needed to find Ethan and April. I hope they'll understand.

I found them at the cafeteria, chatting and chiming with the popular girls... Seriously? I thought Ethan and April hated them.

"Ethan, April?!" I raised my voice.

April jumped. "Oh, hi."

Ethan nervously waved. "Hey Sam. You look tired."

I shook my head. "I'm not. Can we have a little talk..." I glared at the girls. "...alone?"

The girls silently walked off, brushing their perfect hair in disgust.

"Sam, what's your problem today?" April remarked.

"Let's not talk about me, let's talk about you two." I slammed my books down. "So you're hanging with those girls?"

"What's wrong with that?" Ethan puzzled.

"Don't play stupid." I barked. He flinched.

"Seriously Sam, those girls may seem rude and arrogant, but trust us, they're not." April reassured.

"I thought you hated them with a burning passion."

"We used to but one thing led to another and we eventually became friends." Ethan mumbled.

I picked up my books. "Liars."

"Liars? We've told you the truth, Sam, honestly!" April frowned. "Why are you making such a big deal out of this? We can make more friends, we'll be more happy!"

My legs shook. I was so full of rage, I was boiled with anger, I was done with this. "Whatever."

I stormed off to my locker, hesitating to look back. I felt bad, so very bad. But I don't need them, I can function on my own. Nobody but me understands my problems. Only me.