Chapter 7

"How was school?" Dad mumbled, out of energy.

I kicked off my shoes in anger. It's fine, Sam. You made it. You got this day over with. Everything's fine. "Good."

"Remember to call Mom."

"How could I forget?" I grabbed the phone and ran upstairs to talk to her in private.

I tapped my foot nervously and my fingers shook every second. I know she's going to be fine. I'm getting worried over a phone call.

"Hello?" Mom hoarsely greeted.

"Hi-" My voice cracked. "Hello."

"Sam! How was school?" She enthusiastically asked. How can she be cheerful in a time like this?

"...Good."

"That's good. How are your grades?"

"Okay. Just B's." I mumbled.

"Great. Listen, I gotta go. Tell Dad I'll talk to him later, okay?" She sounded so weak.

"Sure."

"Bye, love you!"

"Love you too."

Beep!

I couldn't help but tear up. A little cry escaped. That could've been her last phone call. That could've been the last time I heard her sweet voice.

My shaky hands placed the phone on the office desk downstairs and spun around to see Mom's art on the wall. I stood there puzzling how she can have so much talent, and all that talent gone.

Jeez, I need to stop being so emo and depressing.

"Supper's in an hour. We're visiting Mom after." Dad called.

A notification rang from my phone. [Ethan: I'm sorry about today, I think it was just a big misunderstanding...]

Usually when I was down, I would talk to Ethan. He would listen, and he would cheer me up. Now I feel horrible, even seeing his name fills me with guilt. My gut twists and wrenches, urging myself to answer him. But I have other things to do. I don't feel like socializing anyway.

I dragged myself to my room and slid open the window. I drew the curtains closed and lied on my bed, gazing off into my own world.

I watched some Youtube videos, well, I listened. The Youtubers these days aren't that entertaining, nor set a good role model. I just want to have a voice in the background to get the voices out of my head.

*****

"Sam!" His strong arms shook my shoulders. "Wake up."

"Huh?" I dazed, squinting from the light shining into my room.

"It's 5, c'mon," Dad threw the blankets off me and spotted my phone, still screening the video I dozed off to. "You haven't been watching them, right?"

"Oh, pardon?" I blinked, playing stupid. Dad always talked about his Youtube days, how Youtube was back then, yet he still strictly restricts me from some channels.

"Don't play stupid, Sam. You know better," he snatched my phone and dug it into his pocket. "And don't fall asleep in the daytime. You're not going to fall asleep tonight."

"I don't want to." I murmured once he was out of earshot. I tiredly trotted downstairs to a steaming plate of steak, fries, and broccoli.

"Eat up." He handed me a fork and knife.

I carried my plate to the couch, wanting to be away from Dad. I quickly said grace out of habit and started picking at my food. I'm not really hungry.

As I twirled and spun the fork in my fingers, I observed what's on TV. Nothing interesting's on until the late hours.

"Don't forget to do the dishes, honey," Dad slipped his plate into the sink before glimpsing at mine. "Eat your veggies, Sam."

"Can I eat later? I have a stomachache." I politely asked.

"I've never heard that one before," Dad sarcastically joked. "But really, at least eat half of your broccoli."

"Fine." I muttered quietly, stabbing a piece of steak.

"Listen, Sam, I know things are stressful for you right now, but that's no reason to take it out on me, okay?" Dad put his hand on my shoulder.

"Then what else am I supposed to take it out on?"

"You have plenty of hobbies to take your mind off it." Dad patted my back before marching to his office.

I groaned. Can this day get any worse?

*****

[Sam: I'm sorry.]

That was a simple, but good start. I still didn't know what else to say. I didn't know what to expect, but hopefully this conversation will turn out well.

[Ethan: What happened back there? You scared me.]
[Sam: I wasn't being myself. I'm so damn sorry.]
[Ethan: It's fine, I guess. Just know we can be friends with whoever we want.]
[Sam: Yeah. I owe you big time.]
[Ethan: No worries, it's been a rough week for you after all.]
[Sam: Still isn't a reason for my actions.]

It's been 27 minutes since he replied. He must of gone to do something or fell asleep. I killed the lights and slipped under the covers. I felt far too tired to say my nightly prayers. Or too lazy. Either way, I just didn't have the energy to do anything but lay there.

*****

"Hey Sam."
"Hi." I replied back, having no energy to sound more enthusiastic. I sat down across from her at the lunch table.
"I'm sorry about yesterday." April scratched her neck, anxiously looking down at her feet.
"No, I'm sorry. I freaked out, I overreacted, I did the last thing I shouldn't do to my friends." I apologized. God, why did I do that?
"I was just a bit unsettled and shaken up from it... Are you okay?"
"Are you?" I asked. It will take a while to pay back what I did.
She nodded slowly, keeping her eyes on her fingers fiddling with an elastic ponytail.
I sighed. "You have every right to be angry at me."
Her innocent gaze trailed all over the room. "Where's Ethan?"
"I don't know... I texted him last night and he seemed to forgive me."
"Did you... Did something happen at home to make you bottle up all those emotions?" April cautiously questioned.
"...I don't know if I want to speak about it. But I guess you deserve an explanation." I took a deep breath. I hope I don't break down during this.
"It'll be hard, but you might feel better about it once you talked about it." April slightly smiled, trying to make me feel comfortable.
"The last couple of days have been... stressful. My mom has been diagnosed with cancer in her leg."
April frowned. "Oh my goodness, is she okay?"
I avoided her worried look. "...She got her leg amputated... and we thought she was fine."
April cupped her mouth.
"...But it was too late." I choked up, wiping away tears. "The cancer spread before we could do anything."
April shook her head. "Sam, I'm so sorry..."
I couldn't hold it in anymore. I felt embarrassed to cry in front of anyone, but I couldn't help it. April seated herself next to me and wrapped her arms around me tightly.
My quivering lips quietly mumbled "Can we get out of here?". It was barely a whisper, but April heard anyway. She grabbed my hand and lead me out of the cafeteria.
I took a glimpse over my shoulder to see all the students giving me either glares or worried and confused expressions.
"Don't worry about the others," April reassured. "Only God can judge you."