Chapter 9

(This chapter is pretty much some bonding between Sean and Sam, so enjoy!)

"Everything okay Dad?"
He jumped, startled by my presence. "Oh, Sam. I didn't hear you."
I spotted the teddy bear he held in his hands. I searched my memory to remember his name... But now isn't the time.
"I saw you earlier while I was talking to Mom. I thought she would like to talk to you, but..."
"Oh." He spoke quietly. His sad tone scared me a little. He used to be all excited and happy throughout his life, especially during his Youtube days. Now it's all gone, vanished, drained from him like water in a sink.
I sat down next to him on the table, leaning on his shoulder.
There was a long thoughtful silence before Dad spoke up. "Sam... I apologize for restricting you from certain Youtubers," He said. "I should let you have your freedom of selection. I guess I was just in denial for leaving Youtube and built this judgemental attitude towards the younger generation of Youtube stars."
"It's okay, Dad. I never watch them anyway, I just pull up a random video just to overthrow the voices in my head or to kill silence." I explained.
"Ah, okay. By the way, I'm thinking of us flying out to Cincinnati to see Mark in winter holidays, and maybe celebrate Christmas with him."
I grinned at the thought of Mark. He's such a good friend to Dad, and he's one of the most kindest people I know. Despite him being an introvert, he's goofy and crazy just like my Dad. "I would love to see him again. I haven't seen him in forever."
"Is Mark more of a friend, uncle, or a brother to you?" Dad questioned.
"Brother," I say without hesitation. "He did take care of me when I was younger. Plus he's my competitive soulmate at everything."
Dad lets out a light chuckle. "I wonder how his kids are doing..."
"Being sweet and innocent, as always." I smiled.
"Speaking of children," Dad gently shook the teddy bear in front of me. "Do you remember this guy?"
"Of course! ...Jackyboy, right?" I exclaimed. So many fond memories came to mind... Including going to the hospital because I swallowed one of his eyes... That's also why I became so attached to him
"Yup. He was your favourite stuffed animal, you would never let go of him." He fixed the biggest grin on his face.
"Yeah, I'm surprised myself I left him in my moving box to collect dust."
Dad stood up and stretched. "Well, what should I cook for supper?"
"I dunno," I shrugged. "Can we get some take-out?"
He pulls a ring of keys from his pocket. "Dairy Queen?"
My face lit up in excitement. "Hell yeah!"
As I dashed upstairs, Dad yelled "That's a dollar for the swear jar, missy!"
I ignored him. I've heard him swear so many times in videos. Besides, lots of kids my age swear.

*****

On our way to Dairy Queen, I spotted a random stranger riding his pink bike up ahead in the next lane. "Dad, do you see what I see?" I smirked.
"I do. On the count of three..."
I rolled down my window.
"One... Two... Three!"
"OOOWWH PINK LIGHTNING!" We screamed at the top of our lungs once our car passed the bike.
I chuckled and smiled at Dad who fixed the biggest grin I've ever seen. He must be happy knowing I watch his videos on a daily basis and know channel references off by heart.
We arrived at Dairy Queen, pushing through the doors to a land of bliss. As we waited in line, I decided to have the usual- A Bacon Cheese Grillburger combo, with onion rings of course.
"Did you know your mom worked here when she was in college?" Dad quizzed.
"She told me before. With a fast food job and no degree, I'm surprised she got a career in art design."
"Needless to say, I'm happy she went to art school when you were 5. She drew all kinds of portraits everyday." Dad beamed. "She was so cheerful she had the chance to go."
We ordered our food, picked it up, and drove back to our place.

"Hey Dad," I said after I took a bite out of the burger. "Did you see what that cashier's name was?"
"No, why?"
"His name was Billy." I giggled.
"That's why they screwed up on our order," He frowned. "...SCREW YOU BILLY!"
I smiled, biting into the buns and beef of my burger. I took a sip of Coke before saying "He looked like Billy too."
Dad's phone vibrated on the table. It was from his co-worker. Dad works as the PC Supporter guy at Future Shop, so he gets a lot of phone calls from customers and staff.
"Looks like I have to make this call." Dad excused himself out of the room.
As I chomped down the last of my burger, I picked at my fries. My phone lit up with notifications from April, Ethan, and Roxi.
I blinked in surprise. I haven't texted Roxi in weeks. I was so caught up with summer and school that I forgot about her completely.
With my greasy fingers, I hastily unlocked my phone and viewed the messages.

[Roxi: Hey Sam]

I couldn't tell if she was mad at me for not keeping in contact. She's a very... rebellious and mischievous person, we met through April's sister. Although she isn't my kind of person, we get along well.

[Sam: Roxi! How's everything?]
[Roxi: Hella boring. We're packing for New York rn]

Oh, right. Months ago, she announced she was leaving to move into New York for her father's job. I was quite sad to see her leave. She taught me all kinds of stuff, like how to skateboard and tips on drumming.
[Sam: It sucks that you're leaving. You're like the only drummer I know, besides my Dad.]
[Roxi: Yeah, but I promise I'll keep in contact. I'll send postcards.]
[Sam: I'm sure it'll be absolutely beautiful there.]
[Roxi: Not as beautiful as your photos, tho]
[Sam: Oh, quit it. Don't be sappy.]
[Roxi: I'm serious, Sammie. You have incredible talent. The best photos I've ever taken are dumb selfies.]
[Sam: Can I have a selfie from you? :3 Just one before you go?]
[Roxi: Fine, just one.]

Minutes later, my eyes greeted a photo of an eighteen-year old punk, who's long vibrant red hair caught all my attention. She had a nose piercing and a bunch of black and red roses tattooed on her arms. Her hazel eyes stared back at me, dragging me in with her cute polite smile. She was so beautiful, I refused to close the photo.

[Roxi: How's that?]
[Sam: Beautiful... Uh, listen, I have something I need to discuss with you.]
[Roxi: Is it bad?]
I took a deep breath.
[Roxi: Sorry, Sam. I gtg, and it'll be a few days before I can text you.]

I sighed, but not in relief.

[Sam: It's okay. I'll ttys]
[Roxi: Bye!]

I shut off my phone and threw the wrappers and trash in the garbage. I darted upstairs in my bed and opened up Youtube. I pressed on one of Dad's last videos.
I laid on my bed, listening to the young voice of Dad, shouting and cheering in the mic. I wondered what his life would be like if he continued to do Youtube...
Come to think of it, I wondered what his life would be like without Youtube. Probably another job, another life, another family... maybe another personality and perspective.
Speaking of personality and moods, today wasn't actually that bad, at least after school. Me and Dad felt truly happy for what seems like forever.
As I drifted off to sleep, my only thought was Mom and Dad, sealing their marriage with one passionate kiss.