Chapter 8

"Things will get better."
I blinked.
"Okay?" April patted my shoulder. She noticed my dumbfounded expression. "You look like you've seen a ghost."
"Nothing, just deja vu." I excused, still wrapping my head around the repeated phrase.
"Alright. Well, it's 12:05. We should go back to the school." April hopped down from the wooden bridge on the bike path, beckoning me to come with her.
I shook my head. I can't stand one more second in school.
"C'mon Sam, let's just get this day over with. We're just watching videos in Social."
She convinced me enough. At least I don't have to do work. I followed her back to the doors of the school, past the flashes and glares, and into the social classroom with my books and backpack. I sat down beside April, doodling in my sketchbook.
"Hey Sam," Ethan greeted, taking a seat beside me. "Sorry, I was studying."
I refused to look at him. He'll notice my puffy red eyes. "Hey."
"Everything alright? Your voice sounds hoarse."
"Yeah, I'm okay. Just a sore throat."
As Ethan turned to reach something from his bag, April nudged me.
"Did you tell him?" She whispered in my ear.
I wasn't sure what she was talking about, but I assumed it was one of her dumb matchmaking gigs. "No, April, I didn't confess to him."
"No, no, I mean... y'know."
Oh. "I don't think I did."
"We should all just sit down and talk. Me, you, and Ethan-"
"Hm?" Ethan questioned. "Did I hear my name?"
"No, you just need to get your ears checked." April teased.

*****

(April: Would you rather date Josh Hutcherson or Liam Hemsworth? ▫️Josh ▫️Liam)
I rolled my eyes and snatched my mechanical pencil.
(Sam: ▪️Liam ...only when he's young tho)
I cautiously passed the paper back to April, careful not to alert the teacher, who casually sipped on his coffee. I loved passing notes back and forth, it helped me kill time and boredom. Besides, it kept my mind off of what happened at lunch.
Ethan tapped my shoulder. "What are you guys doing?" He grinned.
I put my finger up to my lips. "Shh..."
April passed the doodle-covered paper back. (April: Aw c'mon, Josh is a total cutie)
(Sam: Of course, but I prefer Liam)
"You guys are talking about guys? Old guys?" He whispered.
I nodded, smiling at his disgusted expression.
"Ethan and Sam, please stop talking." The teacher called.
I sighed, and ripped the corner of a piece of paper. I quickly wrote "meet me after school at the meeting place" and handed it to him.
This needed to be done, after all I did flip out at him for nothing.

*****

"What did you want to talk about?" Ethan wondered as he lifted himself up on the bridge.
"Remember the emergency I had back at your place?" I started, leaning against the wooden planks beside Ethan.
"Yeah."
"Well, let's just say that emergency was about my mom. She got cancer in her leg, so they had to amputate it."
Ethan's happiness soon turned to concern. "Oh no. Sam, I'm really sorry."
"At the time, we were a little more happy. We thought the cancer was gone." I explained, forcing myself not to cry.
His eyes filled with dread.
"It's too late." I whimpered before hiding my face in my chest.
I feel a warm embrace as I resisted the urge to break down.
"It's okay, Sam. It's okay." He assured. "If you don't want to talk about it anymore, you don't have to."
I pulled away from his hug, reaching for my skateboard. I slipped on my backpack and turned to take one last glance at him. "Thank you."
He nodded. He understands that I needed to be alone.
As I drop my skateboard on the concrete, Ethan calls to me. "I'll text you tonight!" I nodded in response.

The minute I step in my house, a whole cloud of relief washed over me. But that didn't stop the wave of stress and panic rushing to me. I darted to the phone and dialled my mom's number.

"Hello?"

Her sweet voice brushed away my worries. She might not sound like she's in the best condition, but at least I can talk to her.
"Hey Mom."
"Hi Sam! How's high school so far?" She questioned, excited to talk to me again.
"I don't know, I've made some bad decisions already." I sighed.
"Everyone makes mistakes." She assures. "I've had my fair share of mishaps."
Mom always makes me feel better. "Yeah. This time I snapped at my friends and now I think they're uncomfortable around me."
"Did you apologize?" She questioned.
"Yeah, I felt bad. They seemed like they truly forgave me once I told them that I had been... you know."
"I'm sure your friends will always be there for you."
I pictured Mom saying that to me with a smile, followed by a cozy and affectionate hug.
"Sweetie?"
"Sorry, daydreaming," I started trotting across the house looking for Dad. "Have you spoken to Dad yet?"
"He said he had to pick up some groceries half an hour ago." She answered.
I spotted Dad downstairs in the basement. He leaned forward to observe something in the boxes and pulled out a familiar teddy bear. Dad seemed to be crying, I could tell by his posture and behaviour.
I wanted to comfort Dad, but at the same time I didn't want to stop talking to Mom. I shouldn't surprise them by handing the phone to Dad, they might fight or feel betrayed.
I sat there on the staircase, pondering if I should leave Dad alone.
"Sam?"
I quietly trekked back upstairs. "Yeah?"
"I'll always be there."
My heart shattered. This is the last thing I wanted to hear from her because she won't, she won't be here forever. Yet it brought some comfort to me. "You're the best mom in the entire universe."
"Are you just saying that cause I convinced your dad to bake you cookies tonight?"
"Wait, what?!" My face lit up.
"Oh... I guess I wasn't supposed to tell you that." She chuckled.
I giggled in response and checked my watch. 3:56.
"Mom, I wish I could talk to you forever but I have an essay assignment on composition and contrast."
"You have an essay to do on the second week of school? I'm bewildered." She expressed with confusion.
"Yeah, I know. But I have to get it done now before I forget."
"School is first priority. You have a lot of talent, Sam. You could capture the world in incredible photographs," She complimented. "Don't take that for granted."
"Thanks Mom. I won't." I grinned.
"I know this sounds cheesy, but follow your dreams."
"I will, for you and Dad. I gotta go so see you later."
"Bye sweetie!"
I hung up and placed the phone down on the desk. It felt so relieving and relaxing talking to her. It was as if no one had existed but us.
Then Dad came to mind. I had to see if he was alright. I dashed downstairs quickly, expecting the worse.