Chapter 10

I woke up with a pounding headache, whipping my head in a hurricane of thoughts. My alarm screeched into my ear, only adding pain to my aching head.
As I slammed down the snooze button, I realized it was 8:30, hitting me with dread.
I frantically stumbled out of bed and rushed to my wardrobe. Hastily, I got dressed and ran downstairs.
I chowed down on some cereal before lacing up my shoes.
"Bye Dad!" I called as I slipped on my backpack and headed out the door.

*****

Mr. Andrew Fox frowned at me as I handed him my late slip. "Take a seat."
Embarrassed, I seated myself in my desk. I pulled out my essay with shaking hands.
"Do you have an explanation for being late, Ms McLaughlin?" He turned his back, powering up the SmartPad.
"No excuses, sir. I just slept in."
The silence and tension built up until the teacher sat on the huge desk in the front of the class, scowling at the class before him. "I expected better of you, Sam. Have you handed it in your essay?" He boomed.
I gulped. "I have it right here." I waved it above my head.
"Good, hand it in at the end of class," He shifted and folded his legs. "Continuing from our previous lesson..."
I sighed in relief. He wasn't a very easy going teacher, but I respect him for his photographs. Besides, he's just teaching us how hard it will be to develop and make art under difficult and quick circumstances.
My cheeks were growing hotter with every look my classmates gave me. I wasn't sure what they were thinking- Was it because I was late? Or when I broke down yesterday? Is it because of my appearance or the way I spoke?
As I took a gander around the room, my eyes caught on to Ethan, who focused his attention on me.
I jerked away, blushing uncontrollably. I knew Ethan liked me, and I was so used to his stare. Yet something keeps pulling me towards him, but I can't put my finger on it.

As I unlocked my locker and switched my papers and textbooks, April sauntered beside me, a sad look fixed on her face.
"You alright, April?" I questioned, sealing my locker.
"It's Blake. He just asked Amber out." She sighed.
"He's dating a girl he barely knows?" I shook my head. Amber was transferred here from the Netherlands. She had an accent, and I have to admit, she is pretty cute.
"Well, not dating... he just asked for her number," April pouted. "But I know the look boys give to girls they like."
I boiled up inside. How come she's this upset over a silly situation like this? Here I am, dealing with a family member with cancer but I'm keeping my cool... Or at least I'm trying to.
I controlled myself from snapping. April never experienced something that I'm dealing with, as far as I know. Besides, if Ethan dated a transferred student he didn't know very well, I would be pissed off and jealous too...
"Let's get to class. We have science next." April sulked.
"Don't worry, April. They'll only last two weeks." I assured her, pacing myself through the floods of students in the hallway.

*****

"Hi sweetie!" My mom croaked, followed by a wheezing cough.
"Hey." I greeted with a saddened voice. I gently hugged her.
"How are you?" She smiled.
"Okay, I guess."
"Listen, Sam. You know I won't be here when the time comes..." She scowled. "But that time... the doctors said it should be in a few weeks."
My quivering lips mouthed "no". I wiped a few tears away with the sleeve of my sweatshirt.
"Come here, sweetie." She beckoned me.
I ran into her arms, her scent welcoming me. A few heartbeats later, I felt another warm embrace.
"It's heartbreaking to see you in this condition," Dad cried. "...Why you?"
Dad pulled away, but I kept my place in her arms. I buried my crying face in the crook of her neck, smelling nothing but hospital gowns and medication.
"Honey, it happens," Mom assured. "...I'll always be here-"

"NO YOU WON'T!"

I winced, trying to hold in my tears. Mom flinched too, startled by Dad's outcry. She held me tighter as I heard Dad stomp out of the room.
Dreaded silence echoed through out the room, only a few subtle sobs escaping.
"Sam..." Mom weeped. "I'm so sorry."
I pulled myself away. "There's nothing to be sorry about." I sniffled. I wish this could have turned out better.
She gave me another hug before I handed her the Guns N Roses pin. I closed her shaky hands over it.
"Funny how a band pin can be so..." She puzzled. "What's the word?"
"Nostalgic? Valuable? Memorable?" I suggested.
She nodded. "Uh, go see if you're father's okay. I want to speak to him."
I shuffled outside, spotting Dad hunched over on a chair. "Dad?"
He didn't respond. "Dad... Jack?"
He was alerted by his name. I barely call him Jack. Neither does Mom.
"Oh, Sam..." He stood up.
"She wants to talk to you."
He nodded, proceeding inside the hospital room. I took a seat on the bench and tried to tune out the shouting and weeping from the room.
I want to get out of here. Hospitals reek of gloom and death. Every corner is just another greeting to the anguish of grief and misery.
I just want to escape this reality.

*****

[Ethan: Things will get better.]

Ethan now? This can't be a coincidence, it happened several times.
"Goodnight pumpkin." Dad marched in the room with a mug.
I jumped up. "Dad, you scared me!" I held my chest and caught my breath.
"Sorry Sam," he shrugged and kissed my forehead. "I made you some hot chocolate."
"Thanks Dad..." I gripped the mug and took a little sip, the swirling liquid slightly burning my lips and tongue.
Dad sat down beside me, wrapping his arm around me. "Listen... I was shocked earlier when you called me Jack. I haven't been called that since... in a long time."
"Oh, sorry."
"It's okay. At the time, I forgot that... I haven't been called that in so long, I thought for a second that you were... It's hard to explain." He stammered.
"I know what you mean."
"Do you want to go to school tomorrow? I know that... I freaked out today, so if you need time off, you can take it." He offered.
"I'll see if I want to in the morning." I set the cup down on my dresser.
"Alright sweetie. Goodnight." He kissed my forehead.
"Goodnight Dad." I smiled.
"Things will get better."