champion - max verstappen

"you are the world champion! the world champion"

World Champion. The words Max wanted to hear since he was little boy with a big big dream. All he could hear were Alex' screams and his own sobs. He had done it. He was a Formula One World Champion and he had beaten Lewis fucking Hamilton. Someone he secretly looked up to for his mental strength. Obviously nothing had sunken in, so the chaos that was the last race lap didn't bother him.

He stood on that car, knowing that was his moment and his day. It took him a few seconds and then he was tackled by his father, christian, alex, GP and basically the whole of red bull. He deserved it.

But he was missing the one person he wanted there the most: you. You had decided to stay with Victoria and her newborn son, given the circumstances that you weren't allowed to travel. So you watched the race with Sophie, Tom, Victoria and the babies - not the best company for when you just wanna scream at the television, but the best one when your boyfriend wins his first world championship.

You watched the interviews, the podium ceremony and the press conference before calling him. It had gotten dark in holland and you were sitting next to the fireplace cuddled in fluffy blankets.

calling max verstappen #1 🏆🤍

"you have reached the voicemail of max verstappen. I am probably racing right now, so call me later"

You chuckled at his voicemail - it hadn't changed since he was like 16. And secretly you hoped he would never change it. Your champion.

~~~

Max was drunk on euphoria, champagne and booze. He spent the night partying with his friends and colleagues until he collapsed in bed. It was already late in the afternoon when he called you back, hoping you weren't disappointed in him.

calling future verstappen #2 💍

"hello this is the girlfriend of formula one world champion, max verstappen", you answered smiling.

"You're amazing.", he laughed and his face crunched,

"You are amazing! Max, you did it! We're so proud of you!", you cried happily. Your emotions were running on a continuous high since last night and every video made your tear up. This was your Max. The annoying boy who hated school but showed just to brighten up your day.

"i can't believe it. It still hasn't sunken in. Fucking world champion.", he said looking into the camera, his smile wider than you had ever seen it. "Thank you for all your support. I couldn't have done it without you. Not now, not the times before. I love you".

"Maxy, stop you're making me cry even more. I haven't stopped since last night!", you laugh-cried. "I love you so much and I wish i could've been there! I'll be there next time and the ones after. I promise!"

He laughed as well but couldn't stop a few tears from running over his cheeks. "Knowing you are waiting at home is enough for me. Technically i am the one who should be by your side."

You shook your head grinning "You are unbelievable, Max Verstappen. Go and enjoy the parties. You'll miss them!" -
"I love you. I'll be home soon. Take care of you!"

The call ended and the two of you followed your own stuff again. Max, partying his win with the team and his father. You, sitting on the couch watching netflix or reading books. The countdown until he was back was ticking on the shelf above the sofa. T-3

~~~

His phone was ringing and ringing, while he drove the testing laps around the Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi.
"Max, your phone is ringing non stop. Can I answer or do you want to come back and take a break?", GP asked slightly annoyed, because Max normally knew better than to leave his phone on loud.