The plan

AUDREY POV

It was time for me to cancel on Caroline.

I had told Xavier I was going to tell his sister I was feeling sick and that I wouldn’t be able to hang out today. I felt it would be the best excuse.

"I'm not feeling so well today. After dinner last night I got really bad stomach pain and I have a massive headache. Can we reschedule?" 

"Omg Audrey are you ok? I did notice you got pretty quiet when we were cutting your cake." 

So she noticed.

"I felt a bit of pain since the morning but it got worse by the end of the day. I think I just need to rest." 

"I'm coming over." 

I worried that Xaveir would get upset. But I wasn't breaking any of his rules since I wasn't going to go out with Caroline, she was just going to come to the house.

"Thank you so much. I'd really appreciate the company, I don't want to be alone." 

I agreed. This was the perfect time to tell Caroline what was going on. This way I had enough time to prepare my things when I finally leave this house.

The guards were watching my bedroom door.

Before I knew it Caroline was already here. The doorbell rang but I couldn't get to it since Xavier didn't let me go anywhere near the front door.

Finally, I heard a knock at the door.

I couldn't open it since it was locked from the outside.

However a maid opened the door and Caroline was allowed inside.

Before Carloline could say anything I told her to walk with me to the library.

Since Xavier had allowed me to go to the library, the guards let me go.

As soon as I went inside I heard the doors lock. This was common for me, but not for Caroline.

I led her to the other end of the library as far as possible from the door and finally Caroline spoke.

"What the fuck is going on Audrey? I arrive at your house with maximum security and when I look for you I see you've been locked in your room. And to make matters worse you're being followed by guards that are clearly watching your every move."

I could tell Caroline was concerned.

"Look, I don't have much time. I'm sure the guards must have already informed Xavier you came over to the house. Meaning he's probably on his way home." 

"What's going on Audrey?"

I could see she was worried about me. 

"I tried to look for a job a few months ago. I'd been looking online to see any available positions. But when I mentioned it to Xavier, he got upset. I didn’t think much of it. I just thought he was worried because of my accident. However, the day I left on my own for a job interview he got furious. We had talked,  and I thought the issue was solved, but I was gravely mistaken." 

I could see the look of horror in Caroline's face.

"What did my brother do?"

I felt on the verge of tears.

"I got scared because he looked so angry and was yelling. I tried to leave the house but he brought me back to our room and locked me in there. For almost two months he's kept me in my room. I haven't gotten out at all. Not the backyard nor other rooms in the house. Just recently I convinced him to let me go to the library and have dinner with him in the dining room. But even then I felt like a prisoner in this house."