No More Monsters

AUDREY POV

"What are you doing here?" I was angry.

I couldn’t understand why he had come here. When it had been his fault that my granny and I were in this mess in the first place.

"I understand you don't want to see me. But I thought you should know that your husband's in the hospital." 

My hatred for my father subsided only to be taken over by worry.

"What happened?" 

My heart was beating fast. I knew something bad had happened to Xavier. He'd never just leave without letting me know where he was.

"I called him and told him where my debt collectors were hiding. I've been working with him and the police for a while now." 

I hadn’t expected to hear that. I wasn’t sure whether he wanted to stop those men to protect my granny and I, or to save himself. So I didn't think much of it.

"Him and I were used as bait. Xavier said he'd give them the money they wanted if they left all of us alone. The police were waiting nearby to take them down." 

I tried to remain calm and listen to my father.

"However, Xavier and I weren't armed so we were completely defenseless. They're smart people so they caught on pretty fast. They tried to shoot me but Xavier got in the way to protect me. The police were able to arrive on time and arrested all of them. The ambulance came and took him to the hospital." 

I couldn't care less if those men were finally found. All I worried about was whether Xavier was ok.

I admired Xavier’s kindness for protecting others. But I really didn't like my dad, and I would have preferred if he'd been the one shot.

My father sent me directions to the hospital.

I walked out and asked one of the guards to drive me to the hospital where Xavier was staying.

I didn’t even say goodbye to my father. 

Even though I was grateful he had told me where Xavier was. I had so much hate for my dad. Yet deep inside I still cared for him.

Every time I looked at him it hurt. I preferred he stay away from me.

I'd finally arrived at the hospital. 

I asked for Xavier and luckily they led me to his room.

I was able to speak to the doctor before going to Xavier.

Apparently he had been shot in the stomach and had to undergo emergency surgery. Luckily no major organs were damaged and the surgery had been successful.

As soon as I walked into the room I began to tear up.

Xavier smiled at me, clearly happy to see me.

I didn’t hug him since I didn't want to hurt him. 

I touched his face, placing my hand on his cheek and kissing him.

"I've been worried all day." I said as I wiped away my tears.

"Please don't cry, princess. I hate seeing tears on that beautiful face of yours." 

It was so sweet how he was trying to comfort me when he was the one that was hurt.

"Why were you gone so early in the morning?" 

I wanted to hear what happened from his perspective.

"I got a call from your dad. He told me he'd found the hideout of those men. I'd been working with him for a while since it seems the police still had no leads." 

At least my dad was finally trying to take charge of his mistakes.

Xavier had paid off all of his debts the first time, in secret. But my dad was ungrateful and he'd gotten involved with them again. Resulting in my granny and I having to pay the price all over again.

Only instead of my granny going to the hospital, it was me this time.

"So we went undercover and pretended we had the money they wanted. The police were close by but your father and I were unarmed. It was a risky thing we were doing but I wanted this to end. I no longer wanted us to live in fear." 

Xavier was scared too?

"I'm not afraid of those men. I never have been. Which is why I was able to deal with the matter the first time. But when they got close to killing you, I couldn’t handle that. I was terrified that if they tried a second time, they might actually succeed in killing you." 

Xavier squeezed my hand tightly.

"I can't lose you princess." 

He tried to hug me, but I moved away.

I didn’t want to hurt him. And hugging him could do just that since he'd been shot in the stomach and recently got surgery.

"No Xavier, I don't want to hurt you." 

He was too insistent, so I agreed.

I hugged him, trying to avoid his wound. But I made sure to be gentle.

He smelled my hair and then kissed my head.

"Nothing in this world could make me happier than you. Because I found my home in your arms. And wherever you are, as long as you're with me, I know I'll be happy."

He kissed my head once more.

"I love you. There's nothing for you to worry about anymore. I've made sure of it. Those monsters will never come near you again." 

I began to cry, finally being able to be vulnerable with Xavier.

He was right. The monsters were gone and all of us would be able to live in peace now.

I would no longer live in fear. And I would be able to live my life like a normal person.

Ever since I was a child I'd always been gravitated to flowers and plants. I couldn't wait to start working at the flower shop again and hopefully with granny again.

Xavier and I shared a sweet kiss.

I felt in my heart that from now on, life would be even better.

END OF CHAPTER 24

(I hope you enjoyed it. Don't forget to VOTE. I'll update the next chapter as soon as I can.☺️)