Chapter One: Seed/Sick

Nate could tell you a lot of different things about how he ended up here, waiting for the time to pass by until something interesting finally happened

Nate could tell you a lot of different things about how he ended up here, waiting for the time to pass by until something interesting finally happened. His dad hadn't come home yet and Nate was sure it had been weeks since the city had been bombed. Something terrible must have happened to him because he knew damn well that his father would do anything he could to get back to his son, he had promised him that several times over in the past and Nate had been stupid enough to believe him. He still wasn't sure what he was supposed to do but he figured he would hold out for as long as he could.

It had taken a while for his food to start running out and he'd been forced to start searching his neighbors houses for supplies. He thought he'd been doing pretty okay so far. He had a small pile on his kitchen counter that was constantly growing each day. He thought it could last him a few more..weeks at the most if he was smart with it. He could wait a little while longer until his father finally decided to show up. He wasn't sure what he was going to do once that happened but he knew that he had gotten tired of being angry over it.

Nate was in his bedroom when he heard the sound of a car engine and he bolted to his window so he could peek behind the curtains but he froze in fear as he saw that it wasn't his father who had pulled into the driveway but it was three different cars, an entire group of people who had stopped on the other side of the street and were getting out and began looking through his neighbors houses. Nate quickly backed up from the window, he glanced around his room and wondered what he could possibly do in this situation but he grabbed his hunting knife and hoped that they weren't going to decide to check his house but he knew it was a lost cause the second he heard his front door swing open downstairs.

He automatically took a few steps back once he realized that these people were seconds away from entering his room and he quickly entered his closet and closed the door behind him. He could hear the voices of two men arguing but they kept their voices down and suddenly the closet door was ripped open and a large hand grabbed the back of Nate's neck. He let out a yell and shoved at the person, hoping that he left a mark when they pulled back but all it caused them to do was drop Nate to the ground. He quickly picked himself back up and grabbed for the backpack he kept next to his door and bounded down the stairs.

"Daryl!" The other guy shouted and Nate was halfway down the steps and he didn't have to turn around to know that he was being chased. He gasped as he lost his footing and he almost tumbled down the other steps before a hand reached out and grabbed his shirt, saving him from falling. Nate stared up at him with wide eyes, unsure if it was in fear or amazement or both.

"What the hell is going on?" A woman's voice had come from the bottom of the stairs and Nate automatically turned his head that way and still, the older man's hand held tightly onto his shirt.

"Who is that?" Someone else had come up to her, Nate had seen their group from outside earlier but he hadn't had time to count and so he wondered how many people were in his house.