Us

Nate wanted to leave

Nate wanted to leave. Beth had been taken. They needed to find her and get back to their group, their family. But it felt like Daryl had just given up. Nate lingered a bit behind him, glaring at the back of his head and thought up a string of insults that he directed angrily towards the other man.

Once it started to get dark, they made camp in the middle of the forest. Some of the men used barbed wire and cans to make an alarm system for walkers. Nate knew he had slept for too long when Daryl finally woke him up by bending down and jostling his shoulder. He groaned and almost rolled back over to fall back asleep like he had done a dozen times before at the prison. He wasn't a morning person.

"Don't." Daryl said, shoving at his shoulder again and then Nate sat up and brushed his hands through his hair. "C'mon. We're going to hunt." He stood up and followed him out of the camp. He leaned against a tree as Daryl started tracking something.

"How long are we staying with them?" He asked, crossing his arms and digging his nails into his other arm to keep himself from throwing punches. Daryl ignored him and Nate desperately wanted to scream but instead he rolled his head up to stare up at the sky. A few hours passed and Daryl and Nate were standing in front of a rabbit. Daryl kept his bow trained on it for a few seconds and then finally let it fly but right as Daryl pulled his trigger, another arrow went sailing past Nate and went into the rabbit at the same time as Daryl. Nate whipped around to see one of Joe's men standing there.

"What the hell are you doing?" Daryl asked, turning towards him as Nate went to walk towards the rabbit.

"My arrow hit it first. The cottontail belongs to me."

"We been out here since the sun came up." Daryl told him as Nate bent down to take both the arrows out of the rabbit.

"You see, the rules of the hunt don't mean jack out here. Now, that rabbit you're going for is claimed, boy." The man sneered, eyes gazing over Nate and Nate squinted at him, not moving as the other attempted to get in his space. "Claimed, whether you like it or not." He pushed at Nate's shoulder with his finger and Daryl yanked him back by his shirt collar and forced him to step back a few paces to get right in the guy's face. He just continued talking though.

"Don't touch him." Daryl said.

"If I was you, I'd hand it over. Now before you get to wishing you ain't never even got out of bed this morning." Nate glared as the guy spoke to him.

"It wasn't my kill." He immediately replied, grounding his jaw.

"You know, I bet this bitch got you both all messed up. Your sister or somethin' cause you got the same look on your face that he does. I bet, that she was one of the youngins. Them youngins..well they don't last very long out here." He told Nate, and Nate stared at him for a few seconds, trying to process what he was saying though the thick southern accent before he decided he had enough of this asshole and attempted to swing at him but Daryl picked him up off the ground instead.