Nothing to Fear

Bruce and Grace were waiting for the elevator at Gotham Estate University after attending the charity book signing. When Summer Gleeson and an older man she was talking to walked past them.

"Dr. Long; do you have any idea why someone would want to destroy the university?" Summer asked him.

"No, but one more disaster, and students would be afraid to set foot on this campus," He answered as they both get into the elevator. Bruce and Grace follow them in.

"Hello, Summer," Bruce and Grace greeted the reporter.

"Bruce! Grace! What a pleasant surprise. Dr. Long, have you met Bruce and Grace Wayne?" Summer asked.

Bruce extends his hand, but Dr. Long refuses. Dr. Long presses a button and the doors close.

"Your father and I attended university together. He had big plans for you two," Dr. Long spoke.

"Well, I guess he'd be pleased. Wayne Industries is more prosperous than ever," Bruce said, "Not to mention the Wayne Industries charities that have helped thousands thanks to my sister."

"Pleased? When your father was alive, Wayne was a name that commanded great respect. Now all Wayne stands for is a self-centered, jet-setting playboy and his sister who does nothing to stop him from acting like one. It's lucky your father didn't live to see what you've done to his good name. He'd have died of shame," Dr. Long told them before he leaves the elevator on his floor.

"Uh-wait, Dr. Long, I haven't finished the interview!" Summer chases after him.

"Don't worry, Bruce. He's probably venting his anger over what's happening to the university," Grace consoled him, "You did hear what he said to Summer about it."

Bruce presses the lobby button on the elevator and the doors closed before taking them down. The two then glance outside and see a helicopter going toward the University Bank.

"That can't be good," Grace said before she and Bruce left the elevator when it had reached the lobby. After finding a safe place to change, Batman and the Scarlet Witch rush over to the University Bank. On the rooftop of the building across from the bank and witnessed a small explosion, no doubt meant to blow off the vault door. The two heroes were now on the rooftop of the bank and jumped down the hole that had been created by the criminals to get in.

"Help! Boss! It's the Batman and Scarlet Witch!" The man cried as the two heroes approached him, "Help m-"

The man became silent after Scarlet Witch had caused him to fall to the ground asleep after she had spoken, "Somnus."

From inside the vault, small smoke bombs are thrown, but it was futile because Batman had a gas mask on and Scarlet Witch had a force field covering the outline of her body

"Welcome, Batman and Scarlet Witch!" A man dressed as a scarecrow greeted them as they stepped inside the vault, "-Oh...a gas mask and a force field...perhaps you are as resourceful as they say."

"Who are you?" Batman asked.

"I am fear incarnate. I am the terror of Gotham. I am the Scarecrow!" He introduced himself as he took out a flare from the duffle bag on the ground and lit it.

"Give it up. There's no way out," Scarlet Witch told him.

"Except through you two!"

A henchman drops on Batman, knocking off his gas mask, starting a fight while with the two heroes. Scarlet Witch pulls the henchman off of Batman. With their backs turned toward Scarecrow, the two heroes didn't see him take out a gun and shoot them in the necks each with a dart. The heroes pushed the henchman aside and turned their attention to Scarecrow. But the two heroes began to feel groggy as they approached the villain.