The Last Laugh

A year ago today, we lost Kevin Conroy. A man who was Batman to an entire generation. Kevin Conroy was a big piece of all our childhoods. But not too long ago, we lost two more pieces of our childhoods. On August 24, Arleen Sorkin, the voice of Harley Quinn, passed away. On October 26, Richard Moll, the voice of Harvey Dent/Two-Face, passed away. May this great woman and these great men rest in peace.

Grace is sitting on her bed in her bedroom. She was going over some things for Wayne Industries while listening to the radio when she switched over to the news to see if anything interesting was happening for the Batman and Scarlet Witch for the night.

"Traffic is at a stand-still on the Gotham expressway, where a trailer full of eggs has overturned. -- This just in. The Gotham Police are investigating a series of near-fatal accidents along the riverhood. Initial reports indicate that hundreds of Gothamites have inexplicably begun acting like total laughing fools. More details as they become available."

"That doesn't sound good," Grace commented on the reporter's news. "Something that cruel sounds like the Joker."

Grace snapped her fingers, and all the papers on her bed became neatly stacked on top of each other in two different stacks. Grace snapped her fingers again, and she was covered in a red mist. When the mist faded away, her clothes had turned into that of the Scarlet Witch. She then teleported into the Batcave.

Scarlet Witch saw that Batman was at the Batcomputer and was monitoring it. He had just released a weather balloon to analyze Gotham's air for any gas substance, causing the laughing madness across Gotham.

"Has the computer found anything yet?" Scarlet Witch asked as she stood next to her brother.

"The results should be coming in soon," Batman replied.

A moment later, the Batcomputer reads the information collected by the weather balloon, "Air-born gas emanating from riverfront district. Analysis: Lengthy exposure to the gas will result in permanent insanity."

Batman then calls Alfred through the intercom, "Alfred, I left the hex key upstairs in the den. Would you bring it down?"

"Oh, go fetch it yourself!" Alfred responded before he blew a raspberry.

"Very funny, Alfred. But we have no time to play."

Batman and Scarlet Witch listen to crashing noises and sudden laughter from Alfred. A feeling of dread made itself home in Scarlet Witch's heart.

"Oh, no," Scarlet Witch gasped before she and Batman hurried out of the Batcave and into the living room.

When they reached the living room, Batman and Scarlet Witch saw Alfred waving a broom upside down.

"Just a little spring cleaning, sir, ma'am. Ha ha ha ha ha!" Alfred laughed.

Batman sees the wrecked place, and the room is filled with green gas, making people laugh uncontrollably. Scarlet Witch quickly places a shield on her and Batman to protect themselves from the gas. Alfred then uses the broom to smash the glass of a longcase clock.

"Meus Manus Manus," Scarlet Witch spoke, summoning the broom to her hand and out of Alfred's.

Alfred picks up a vase while laughing until he falls and smashes the vase. Batman and Scarlet Witch rush over to his side.

"I believe I've contracted a giant case of the giggles," Alfred told them before laughing, "Haha hahaha!"

After placing Alfred in the Batcave for his safety, Batman and Scarlet Witch traveled across Gotham Bay in the Batboat. Eventually, they found the Joker's garbage boat, and when they were close enough to the boat, Scarlet Witch cast a spell that caused the garbage boat to stop. Scarlet Witch then used another spell to attach that garbage boat to the Batboat. Batman puts on a gas mask while Scarlet Witch puts a shield around herself.