Part 2 ~ Welcome Home

Michael's Point Of View ~ 

The car ride is so smooth and peaceful. I'm looking out of the window, taking in everything as we drive past. I haven't done this in such a long time. I haven't done it like this, I mean. In such a way where I can actually take everything in . . and at my own pace. Where I don't feel an almost overwhelming amount of sadness come over me. 

With the push of the button, the window falls down. 

The wind in my face now. It's like it has woken me up as I feel my eyes have been closed for far too long. This is a second chance . . my second chance that I am so grateful for. It is as if words fail. Speechless, so speechless. It's how it all makes me feel. It makes everything around me seem more alive, a future seeming to have much more promise. A life that I can actually allow myself to look forward to. Today is a good day. I'm out of hospital after staying in there for another two weeks after my operation. Ella with me . . by my side and only left my side to go to work. Mother was there too, of course. Fussing as usual. I told you. She means well, like I said. My mind brought back suddenly, my eyes looking at what now has gained my attention. 

Ella's hand on mine. 

I look at her. Her tears of distress have dried up now, however, tears of joy replace them. I'm hoping that is the case . . I don't want Ella being so sad. But I understand. It is not something to take lightly. Not something to just assume will go well. It's the not knowing that brings people to their knees . . bringing them to their most vulnerable state. It's scary. 

"You okay, Michael? . . " She asks me. 

"I'm okay, Ella. I promise . . " I tell her smiling. 

I bring her hand up to kiss it. I chuckle to myself. She does worry too much. But it's a good sign, means she really loves me. Ella and I are on our way to mothers house. The whole family is scheduled to be there . . everyone. Mother has been planning this since I woke up that day. I bet she has. 

That's mother. 

But I'm not mad about it . . embarrassed? I'm not that either. To me, it's something to look forward to before it will then become something to look back on and remember. We pull up. Ella and I both giggle from the huge sign mother has made and placed out the front of the family home. 

'Welcome home, Michael! . . ' 

It reads. Let's just brace ourselves. 

Mother comes rushing out of the house suddenly on sight of us. She is wearing her most fancy outfit matching it with fine jewellery. Pearls around her neck and on her earlobes. The dress, it has a lovely pattern embroidered onto it with subtle colours this time around. Her smile so wide. She is over the moon. It's not hard to tell. Ella and I get out of the car. Mother already standing right outside the car door. 

"Oh Michael. Welcome home! . . " 

She says with such joy. Ella walks around to where we are. Mother giving her a warm hug also.

"Come in, my dears . . " Mother says. 

Her arms around our lower backs as we all walk towards the house. Wow. This is amazing. This is so nice. My entire family is here . . I told you. I see my father, he gives me nod as we lock eyes on each other from across the room. My brothers come up and all at once too. Before they close in on me, I see my sisters giving Ella a hug while mother tries to get her to eat something. Oh god. We just here mother. 

"Hey Mike . . " Jermaine says. 

"Mike, heeeyyyyyy brother . . " 

Marlon says, wrapping one arm around my chest from behind. His other hand patting me on the arm. 

"Mike, Mike! Welcome home man . . " 

I think Tito said that. I don't know. My brothers surrounding me completely. Their faces full of happiness and love for me. It's so nice to see. Mother comes around, appearing seemingly out of nowhere it feels. 

"Now give Michael some room, boys . . " 

"Let him breath! . . " Mother instructs them. 

She's not saying it in a rude way, she is just concerned about me. They go over to Ella as more hugs and hellos are given while my sisters come over to me. Both Rebbie and La Toya kiss me on the cheek. There she is . . my little sister Janet. I have always gotten on very well with Janet. Back when we were growing up we were so close. She is quiet. 

"Hi Michael . . " Janet says very softly. 

She wraps her arms around me, mine around her. I hear her as she takes a deep breath out. We break the hug, seeing a tear run down her cheek. 

"I'm okay, Janet . . " I whisper to her. 

I give her a look of reassurance. I hate that this has happened, that this is what it came down to in the end . . but it's something that was out of my control. I just hate that I made so many people so sad. Janet places her hand on my chest . . on my heart. 

"Strong? . . " Janet asks me. 

I nod with a smile. 

"Very. Very strong now . . " I tell her with confidence. 

Mother appears next to me once again. She looks at me before looking at all the food around, pointing to it all. Her eyebrows raised. 

"Michael. Please go and eat something . . " She tells me. 

"Mother I am fine for now . . " I say to her. 

Mother knows she has been overcome. She looks at me, her eyes sparkle. They always have. Just having so much motherly love in them. Looking at my face. Her hand comes up . . resting it on my cheek. Her eyes water as she looks at me. Kissing my cheek before she throws her arms me again. I excuse myself, with nothing but a glass of water in my hand. I step outside, out the back. 

I look out. 

Leaning forward to rest my arms upon the white railing that sits around the verandah. It is silent now with only the faintest sound of everyone as they are behind me . . behind the closed glass sliding door. In my thoughts once again. I put my head down. 

I'm so happy to be out. 

. . to be free. 

I wanted to ask Dr Wells but it wasn't the right time. He was busy focusing on me, my recovery. Bringing me back to the person I was before all of this got the way it did. And I . . well, I was doing the same. But I remember he told me something. Back when I first found out that I was getting was I had been praying for. 

It was a name. 

A name that I didn't recognise. It wasn't familiar to me at all. But a name that is now embedded into my mind. I want to find out more about this name . . much, much more. As much as I can somehow. But I don't know where to start. Where do I go from here? I want to know about this person? What were they like? The name . . it's more than that though. It has so much importance to it because I know that it's more that just a name. It's something that is apart of who I am now. It's apart of my life. 

It's apart of me. 

to be continued.