Part 10 ~ The Beating Heart (Final)

Michael's Point Of View ~

I can't believe today is the day. 

The grass greener, the air fresher. The birds sing but they sound brighter. The sky so blue and the sun so warm. Ella places her hand on my thigh. Our stare of one another is soft . . completely love filled. Mothers voice is heard here and there, telling us of all her observations outside. I look at my rear view mirror. There he is. I say to myself as I see Dr Wells still following right behind us in his car. 

"You okay? . . " 

Ella asks me in a whisper while mother still speaks in the backseat. I'm nervous . . but excited. And I already know it'll be such an emotional day . . for everyone there. But I'm ready. Ella's hand gently squeezes my thigh. My heart beating, it gets that little bit faster and faster as we almost arrive. I nod in response to Ella's question. She can see that I'm nervous . . so nervous. But so excited. This is what I have been hoping for.

It's no secret. Not at all. 

It's quiet for a second as mother appears to be hushed this time from her observations outside. It allows me to really think about what is about to happen. No more will communication through mail resume, it isn't enough. I mean, face to face interactions are yet to go out of style. And it's what I wish to happen more than anything in the world. To know that today, I will be reuniting a mother with her son. His body no longer, Soul invisible but present, I believe. And his heart . . well, it's beating within me now. The destination reading only minutes away. The area . . it's just beautiful. To me, it's such a family friendly neighbourhood. Everyone's eyes focus on the house numbers that show themselves in front of each home as we pass them. Ella holds the piece of paper that displays the Greene's home address. 

"Oh. Here is it! This house . . "

Her arm extended as she points to the house she is referring to. She is right. This is the one. I park. Engine off then we are silent, all of us. I sigh deeply, a sigh that is quite shaky . . understandably. Ella's soft voice invades my ears. It stops and further feeling of fear within me. Dr Wells pulls up, parking right beside us. He smiles upon his vision of the house. A house that will become a part of my life. We walk together towards the front door, knocking . . waiting. I sigh softly but I feel everyone else do the same. Ella takes my hand. The click of the door is heard and I can't help but gently squeeze Ella's hand upon the sound. 

The door opens. 

Mrs Greene in front of me, finally. 

Her eyes only on me. As she see's me, she can't help but to completely break down. Knowing exactly who I am. Both her hands cover her face. I walk towards her, can't help but to wrap my arms around her. Comforting her as best as I can. A grieving mother . . the poor thing. My eyes doing the same. They water up in seconds, falling down my cheeks also. I feel hands on my back . . mother and Ella placing theirs there to comfort me, this time. The hug is broken, slowly. Mrs Greene's glassy eyes look straight into mine. Her hands come up onto my cheeks. She squeezes her lips together. 

"Michael. Look at you. So handsome . . " 

Diane says, her eyes still tear filled. I chuckle from her last spoken words. 

"It's a honour to finally meet you Mrs Greene . . " I say softly. 

"Oh none of that. Please call me Diane . . " 

She tells us with a smile before she invites us inside. Her home is beautiful. I look around until something gets my attention. I walk over to it slowly. Looking straight at it. It's him. I think so. Is it? He was so young . . only 17 years old. The entire room is silent as Ella, mother and Dr Wells stand behind the both of us. Diane walks over to me until she is standing right beside me. Our eyes both on nothing else but this photo. 

"That's my son. That's Logan . . " She says, her voice breaking. 

Her hand on my arm. "Please come out the back with me, Michael . . " 

" . . so I can listen . . " 

We make our way to her backyard. I see many faces here. I ensure I meet every single one of them. These people are strangers . . but not for long. They will become such important people to me. I will refer to them, as people that saved my life. An act so selfless . . so kind. I can't thank them enough. They have allowed me to move on. To feel whole again. People that will forever be apart of my life. After all the teary introductions, I look towards Dr Wells. He nods before he looks into his trusty briefcase. He hands Diane his stethoscope. I stand in front of her, standing still as she walks towards me. Again . . it's completely silent. She places the ear pieces into her ears. Holding the diaphragm with her fingers, aiming it directly for me chest. 

She places it there. And she listens. 

She hears the beating heart. Her son's once again. 

The emotions from everyone is overwhelming. But from Diane and I . . it's enormous. We cry together, my hands rest on her shoulders as she listens. Diane holds the diaphragm with one hand while her other hand is placed flat onto my chest. 

"Logan is still here, Diane . . " 

"You see, he lives in me . . " 

fin.