Chapter 21: The Manager is sus

Juuto couldn't believe the situation he found himself in. That woman asked, no, commanded him to basically spy on Rame. So here he was working with the girl during another night shift, trying to act as if nothing was wrong.

Tonight, they were going to put up the Christmas decorations for the month. The two of them were working together on that, but he was feeling distracted after everything he had been through.

"Is everything all right boss?" Rame took note of his current mood. She had been bothering him ever since his meeting with Marie. After all, when he returned, the man refused to say anything that had happened while he was gone. Of course, that was going to make anyone more curious. In her case, it also made her worried as to what he wanted to keep secret. Especially with her suspicions on him.

"I'm fine." He responded. "Just feeling a little chilly, that's all." Juuto tried his best to keep their focus on the task at hand. The two of them had to hang up lights outside the store, so he wasn't wrong about the Winter chill. There were products that needed to be swapped out for themed holidays ones along the aisles. This also including the store's specialty 'Christmas dogs', that Rame had been looking forward to.

With the two of them working on it, the tasks were completed in short order. After all of that was taken care of, there was only one thing left to do. That being to set up the Christmas tree out in the main area near the register to really sell the theme to the customers. However, it had yet to arrive. Odd, he thought, since it was usually here before his shift started.

This bit of time where they were done with most everything and waiting for the tree gave Rame another chance to talk with Juuto.

"So, is Marie a nice girl?" She asked.

"Nice?" That wouldn't be the word he'd describe that woman, but he couldn't blow his cover already. "She's cool. You guys have a chance to talk with her?"

"No." Rame sighed in a disappointing fashion. "Every time I try to, she always just brushes right past me. I don't know what she's doing during the day, but she seems to get off work before I start my own shift." Whenever their paths crossed, she would greet the new neighbor. However, all that she got in return was a simple 'hi', before that woman just walked back inside her room.

"Interesting." It wasn't all that surprising for him to hear. Marie was from Enatis, and it seemed a lot of people there weren't fond of Rame. Still, he disagreed with that acting since it seemed a way to make her seem suspicious.

"What about you? Have you ever seen her after that private little conversation you had?" He had. Multiple times in fact. Marie had wanted him to keep her updated on all of Rame's recent actions. However, since this girl hadn't seemed to be making plans of world domination. There wasn't anything he couldn't really province in depth. Just what was that woman so interested in with anyway?

"Just a couple of times." He lied. While he made for a decent liar, no skill would be able to go against the evidence Rame collected.

"Really?" She glared at him. "Because I've counted at least five times you've seen her since she's moved in." That rocked him. Partially because it was true, but also because how did this girl find out?

"W-what are you talking about?" He asked, feeling a little nervous with this information out.

"Mifuru told me." As it turned out, Marie wasn't the only one wanting to keep tabs on a person. The servant had been wondering about this strange woman herself. So she went to check on this person during times where she'd figure they would have private meetings. Sure enough, during every lunch this past week, Juuto was found to be talking and eating with her.

Mifuru had no idea on the content of these conversations, since there was never an opportunity for her to get close enough to hear. However, if they wanted to keep it private, then something must be up. It was also confirmed at this moment for Rame, that Juuto wanted to keep them secret for some reason.

Of course, the real reason for those meetings was for the updates Marie had requested. So now he felt backed into a corner with this being thrown at his face.

"Look, just admit it." Rame's eyes were filled with rage. Even if she was just a regular human he'd be a little scared. But this girl right here was a certified demon lord, and had more than enough power to destroy his existence.

"It's not what it looks like." He tried to defend himself. "I didn't have a choice."

"She asked you out and you've been dating her since she got here, haven't you!"

"I'm so sorry, I just... Huh?" She had gotten the complete wrong idea about his actions this past week.

"I can't believe you. I always thought you never wanted a girlfriend because you weren't ready, not because you hadn't met one that you thought was really pretty."

"..." He was at a loss for words about how this girl came to that conclusion.

"And sure, she's a real beautiful girl. But come on, I know you're not a shallow guy. Surely looks aren't everything to you."

"Rame... We're not dating." He responded without a hint of his prior fear. The new emotion that had taken hold was pure disappointment. This girl had to be smarter than that. "And even if we were what's wrong with that? I'm a grown man, of course I'm going to find a girl that's right for me eventually."

"S-sure..." Her face was beet red, and she turned her head down to avoid looking at him. "I guess it's cool if that's the case. But it's not, right?"

"No." He answered, then came up with an excuse to escape her suspicions. "Actually, the truth is, she's been wanting to get to know you."

"Me?"

"Well, you and Mifuru." He explained that they had been getting into those meetings because Marie wanted to learn about the girls. He used the excuse that she was actually shy and was a little worried about talking with them. So she came to him. "So it's just that. I didn't tell you two because I didn't want to embarrass her, that's all."

"Oh, I see." She had been very humbled. This was a major misstep in her actions, and the blunder put real egg on her face.

"I'm here~" A voice rang out as the automated doors opened. It was Asaga, with him was the Christmas tree the two of them were waiting for. "When I learned my company was delivering this to here. I knew I had to be the one to make the delivery." He chuckled as he effortlessly carried it over his shoulder effortlessly. On his other shoulder was the box which was filled to the brim with decorations for them to set up. Which was the other reason why he wanted to personally make the delivery.

"Great." He said, pointing over to where it should be placed. "I guess it's time for us to get it decorated."

"Boss." She said, bolting out from behind the counter. "I got it with Asaga, don't worry about us." Rame told him in a rushed voice. The girl felt like she had made things awkward between the two and wanted to put some space between them for a little while.

"I don't work here, but I was hoping ya ask for help." Asaga was giddy about getting it planted in the middle of the store. Meanwhile, Juuto stuck by the register to keep an eye on them and handle customers.

The man was glad about dodging that bullet with Marie, but being stuck as her spy wasn't going to last forever. Things would go badly if he didn't find a way out of this sticky situation. What was he going to do to fix this?

Then the idea hit him. As he watched Asaga working with Rame on the tree, he realized there was someone that could help him out. And they were standing right in front of him.