Chapter 29: The Retainer Gets a new Outfit

"I'm surprised they'd have shop like this here." They entered the tent, which offered warmth away from the Winter chill they were experiencing outside. It was filled with other patrons hoping to buy some festive outfits.

"Yeah, but are you sure you should be spending money on me?" Mifuru didn't feel comfortable with these prices. Especially since she didn't know his wage. "Do you even have enough cash on you to pay for it?"

"Don't worry, I got one of these." He produced a card from his wallet. "They call these things a debit card, it takes the money in your bank and pays for it. Even our magic can't do something like that."

"How does it work?"

"No clue, but as long as I don't spend too much we'll be fine." Asaga was never the type to get bogged down in the details. Either way, he ushered her to try on something so that he could pay for it. While they were browsing, they ran into a familiar face.

"I see the two of you have arrived at my little shop." It was Kunitoki, the old man that also ran the haunted house attraction at the last festival. He was the one who owned this little shop as well. "Looks like my haunted house brought the two of you closer together." His teasing was lost on the pair, as they responded with their own greetings.

"Hey, how come most of the people here are sticking to pairs." Asaga asked after he took a little time to observe his surroundings. "Ain't that supposed the rule?"

"Rule?" At first, he had no clue to what they were talking about. That was when it hit him, when he considered who these people were. "Did Juuto tell you that?"

"He is the one that informed us of the rules." Mifuru answered. "That's why the two of us are together." When she said that, the old man erupted into a roar of laughter. His actions bewildered the pair, as they stared on while he continued to laugh. It took a while for him to calm down, then he finally told them why this was so humorous.

"That..." He was still laughing as he informed them of this revelation. "That was a trick me and the rest of the neighborhood came up with to tell him." Pretty much everyone wanted him to finally find himself a girlfriend, so they all agreed to tell him about this rule. The whole idea was to put it in random conversations to get him interested. Unfortunately, this had the opposite effect as the man simply chose to stay home. Either that or go somewhere else to celebrate.

"That is kind of funny." Asaga chuckled when he heard the story.

"I don't think it is." Mifuru had the opposite reaction. Thanks to this little trick, she couldn't be with her demon lord tonight.

"Wait a second, does that mean he's here tonight?" They nodded to answer him, which caused him to do a bit of a celebratory dance. "Nice, I wonder who the lucky lady is? She must be that girl who works with him. Oh that girl really is a nice catch...." He rambled on for a bit before letting them go. Once they were free of that conversation, the two of them returned to looking for clothes.

"Ooh, I bet this would be good." Asaga took out a dress for the ladies to dress themselves as Mrs. Claus. "This is perfect for the event."

"I though this was supposed to be a gift I could use year round, but I geuss I'll try it anyway." She took it from his hands and went to the changing room. The girl was always quick at changing clothes due to her living conditions. So Asaga didn't have to want long to see her in this outfit. When she came out, he was floored with how she appeared.

The girl was wearing a woman's Santa outfit. The dress was short, ending right midway to her thighs. It was the type that had no straps over the shoulders, instead it tightly wrapped itself around her chest to stay up. The girl's cleavage was on full display for the world to see.

"Wow..." He was nearly speechless with the sight he was given. It was almost insane for him to think that this girl was a half-breed demon.

"This looks a little much." She was feeling uncomfortable with these clothes. Her hands stayed low around her crotch, as she felt as though her underwear was nearly visible. "I look pretty bad, don't I?"

"N-no." He could barely answer because of how enamored he was with her appearance. "I think ya look amazing. Honest, I think ya real beautiful in that outfit."

"Beautiful?" That was the first time she had ever heard those words. She felt something stirring in her heart that she had never felt before as a result of his reaction. "Usually people call me ugly."

"Ugly?" He could hardly fathom why that would be the case. Until he remembered just who she was. "Look, I understand that a lot of people despise yer kind. Especially since they can figure it out real quick with yer two eyes." He pointed out a major feature of her as a result of her heritage. Mifuru had eyes that had different colors. While on Earth it is rare, certainly no one would figure one to be a monster if they had heterochromia.

"But do I really look any different? All I did was have a change in clothes."

"Well..." He got a bit embarrassed to be admitting this. Especially since if anyone found out back home they'd get mad at him. "The truth is... Yer a real pretty gal, even when ya wearing yer normal clothes."

"You really mean that?"

"Honest. I swear it." He put a hand over his heart to show how serious he was. "So, can I get this for ya then?"

"Mmhmm." She nodded to allow it. If that made him feel that way about her, then she'd be happy with that." So he went and purchased it for her, and she continued to wear it as they left the tent since her original clothes were wet from earlier.

"Looks like it's getting a little late." Asaga commented as he checked the time. "Do ya think we should head to the agreed upon meetup spot?"

"I believe that to be the best course of action." This time, she took the lead as they headed towards the meeting place. Said place being the large Christmas tree set up in the center of this entire festival. There was no way one could miss such a giant target. Especially with the way it shone over the festival grounds.