Chapter 48: The Retainer Tends

"That was terrible." Akitomo as they sat alone in the nurse's office. "I can't believe you not only were the cause of injury for me. But that you also humiliated me in front of all those people... How could you be so unfair!?"

"I was simply lending my aid to you." She responded. Under normal circumstances, Mifuru would never consider helping a human in trouble. However, he was different as according to Rame, they were supposed to be allies. Albeit rather temporarily. "I care not for what others see, only that your well being is taken care of."

"Well, my well being got worse because of you." He argued back. "If it wasn't for that stunt you pulled, then that wouldn't have happened in the first place."

"I take full responsibility." She accepted his complaints. "That's also why I must make it up to you." When they had arrived, the staff had checked on him to ensure that there were no major injuries. They also were apparently dreading being sued by them, which is why they sounded like they were begging for that not to be the outcome. However, neither Akitomo nor Mifuru even understood what that concept meant. So they said they had no plans on doing so.

So now that the people had ensured he wasn't going to die, nor was the boy going to need to go to the hospital, they were left alone for a bit as some paperwork for release got handled. The girl insisted that she be the one to tend to him, but they had their concerns given that the pair were minors. Somehow though, they were able to convince them to leave them alone. It would be bad enough if their real identities, or rather their lack of proper history here was found out. "Does it still hurt?"

"No... Just a little bit." The scrape he got on his knee was pretty bad. Honestly, the boy wanted to cry in pain, but he didn't want to shed tears in front of her of all people. "The cream they put on hurt more, to be honest."

"Apparently that is to guard against infection." She commented. It was crazy for her to think that humans could come up with something so capable in a plain package. In order for the demons to avoid infection from combat wounds, they normally just had to cauterize the point of injury. And considering how he reacted to the small sting of this, there was no way Akitomo could handle that. "Anyway, I'll make sure you're all right before we depart to meet with the others.

"Don't know what you could do that they haven't." He replied. Though she quickly showed him what she had in mind as the girl put her hand over his forehead. "W-what are you doing?" Akitomo asked in a flustered manner. She was incredibly close to him now.

"Just checking your temperature. You appeared nauseous after we got off." She spoke in a monotone manner, as this action had no impact at all on her emotions.

"That's because you spun me around a hundred times." He yelled back much louder than expected. It was just how much he had lost his composure staring so close to her soft face. Despite all his insults about what she was, the boy had a hard time denying that she was beautiful. Well, that didn't stop him from trying anyway mentally.

He chalked it up to the fact that he was a grown man now. Well, to most he was still growing considering both his age and short stature. Either way, he was just at that point where one takes note of girls. That's how he viewed it with Marie as well. Though the latter was always teasing him for feeling that way. That is really going to stunt his growth in the future.

However, the worst part was who it was that got him feeling self conscious. This wasn't just some plain old girl who existed from Enatis or Earth or whatever. She was a demon hybrid, the worst of the worst.

"I hope that I'm not offending your pride." She said, taking note of all his staring. A good bit of it toward under where her eyes were. "It's not like I'm ignorant of who I am, and who you are." There was a bit of irony that a hero would be receiving aid from a hybrid.