A Thousand Years

~~~

"Mom, I'll be off."Daniel shouted before grabbing his coat hanging on the clothing rack just beside the front door.

"Bring the bouquet of tulips I bought earlier son. I'm sure she will like it."his mom answered in the kitchen.

"Where is it?"he asked after putting on his coat.

"On the coffee table at the living room."

He went to the said place and saw a bouquet of pink tulips. He grabbed it with care and walked back to the front door. He turned the doorknob and opened it.

The chilly air of December welcomed him, together with a few snowflakes flew and entered the house. He smiled as he carefully stepped out of the house, as his thick black boots dipped into the deep cover of snow on the pathway.

It was already night time and like the usual, he decided to just walk up to his destination. He likes to work hard just to reach her, and riding a cab is not his style.

As he walk further, he noticed a few series of bulbs hanging by the street lights, probably for decoration that his neighbors put up to add the happy and joyful day.

He continued to stride as he wastes a few glances towards the houses he passes by.

He stopped all of a sudden and looked through the window of a certain family. Joyful, bright, almost perfect, and complete. He smiled to himself.

I hoped for a happy future with her.

And he continued walking.

He finally get to leave their village and still, he continued walking.

It was Christmas Day. Everyone is celebrating this joyful day. He watched as the people exchanged gifts by the streets, some random kids crying for not getting the toys they want for christmas, and some couple who likes to be at peace while walking along the crowd of people.

He gripped his light brown coat since the weather is too cold for his outfit.

I should have worn a much more thicker clothes.

He continued walking despite freezing from the cold Christmas weather and finally arrived at a much more isolated part of the town. He can still hear the Christmas carol of some choir being played at the nearby store.

He entered the place with a smile, pushing the rusty gate open and stepped onto the lawn with snow covering it.

The whole place might be covered with snow, but he knows where she is too well. He went to the left side of the place and he finally arrived in front of her.

Two gravestones stands on the cold ground, snow resting on top of it. He wiped it off on both stones before resting the bouquet of tulips in front of the other one.

"Hey, love. Merry Christmas. I hoped you like the white roses I bought last month."he spoke, even though he knew no one is going to answer him.

Every 25th of the month, he visits her, his beloved wife.

"You know, I don't think I can find another woman like you wanted me to do. And every time I look for one, both of you always cross my mind. I don't think I can replace you, love. I could never replace my first, one and only love."he said as he rub his fingers onto his wedding ring which is worn on his left ring finger.

"I hope you will like these pink tulips I brought. Mom was the who bought it. She knows how you always love flowers."

He turned to the other gravestone just beside his wife's.

"Hey there, son. I'm sorry I didn't bring any toys today. Daddy's always busy with work and I forgot to buy one earlier at the toy shop. I promise I will bring you another one next month or maybe tomorrow."

He tried to hold a smile, but eventually faltered as tears rolled down on his cheeks from his eyes. He sobbed.

He regretted not bringing them home that night.

"Love? Can you take us home? Dan and me just finished shopping for his toys."

"I'm sorry love. I still have a lot to do at work. Can you wait for me?"

"Oh no. It's okay. We'll just take a cab. Dan already wants to taste mom's ginger bread cookies at home. Take care love."

"Okay love. Take care. Get home safe. I love you."

"I love you too, love. I'll hang up now."

"Bye."

"Bye."

It was the last 'I love you' he heard from her before she and his son got into an accident because of the heavy snow on Christmas Day.

He wiped his tears away after remembering that cruel time of the year. His mom helped him moved on, moreover not to hate or blame anyone for it was an accident. He also apologized to his in-laws for not taking them home that night, and they forgave him even though they knew it wasn't his fault.

He smiled once again, but this time, it was genuine, the sadness still lingers but he knows that it's best to just be happy for them in the afterlife.

"I guess, I'll take my leave now. Merry Christmas, my love and son. I love you both. I'll wait for the both of you on our next meeting, if ever there would be a next."

And he left the cemetery, to join his parents and celebrate Christmas.

But he never had the chance.

Because on December 25th of year 200*...

Daniel McKenzie died in a car accident.

-

Year 300*...

"Mom! I'm off to school!"Dan shouted as he grabbed a ham sandwich on the dining table and almost tripped on the way to the front door.

"Careful dear! Good luck on the first day of school!"his mom shouted back from the master's bedroom.

H exited their house and went to the garage to fetch his motorcycle.

He drove up to his school and got off. He let out a deep breath before entering the school building and to start his last senior year.

-

"Hey bro! How's summer vacation?"his friend, Eric asked as he sat beside him.

"I worked part time at an ice cream shop. It was an amazing experience and the ice cream was heaven."he replied.

They continued chatting until the teacher came in the classroom with a young lady traling behind her.

"Good morning class, I would like you to meet Ms. Christine Danville, our new transfer student. Please introduce yourself."the teacher spoke.

Dan eyed the girl intently.

She looks familiar... But I'm sure this is the first I've seen her..

"Hi everyone. I'm Christine Danville, nice to meet you all."and she bowed in front of everybody.

And accidentally, their eyes met.

And Dan knew, it was love at first sight.

THE END

A Thousand Years by Christina Perri