More Than Friends

~~~

"Hi. I'm Jack."

"Uhm..n-nice to meet you Jack. I'm Merry."

"Do you mind if I want you to be my friend?"

"N-No. I don't mind."

"I'm glad."

Merry reminisced the time they met as she watch those huge clouds pass by the light blue sky. She turned to the guy in front of him, joking around with his other friends on their table which was under a huge tree by the soccer field.

It was sunny and there are a lot of students playing around under the heat.

She turned to her lunch as she smiled secretly.

"Oohh.... What are you smiling at, Merry? Huhh...? Or rather who?"her friend Lia teased her as she poke her by the sides.

"H-Hey.. stop it Lia!"she shouted quite low while blushing.

Lia knew she had a crush on Jack, and she also knew that Lia has a crush on Jack's best friend, Rico, who was quite a nerd and a video game addict.

"Who is she smiling at?"Dylan asked, as he slurp his cup noodles as he eye the two girls. And because of what he mentioned all of the boys turned to the two of them.

Lia stopped poking her sides and they both look around, feeling awkward because of everyone's eyes on them.

"Uhh... Nothing. No one. Merry is smiling...at no one..."Lia excused. She knew Merry is quite secretive and she knew she will be upset with her if she tell their other friends.

"Really? I'm not accepting that excuse."Dylan replied back. Rico nodded as he fix his glasses.

Merry looked down, her face red. She looked up only to find Jack staring at her.

Why is he staring at me? She asked inside her mind. She just shook her head and looked away. She better not hope for something impossible.

She knew Jack better than anyone. They have been friends for quite a long time. Almost six years? That is amazing. And she don't want that friendship to be broken just because she had a small crush on him. Just small. A tinny tiny one bit of crush. But she knew in herself that it's more than that.

Who wouldn't admire him? He's caring, smart, and knew house chores. He had the looks that attracts girls. He's lean and strong. Kind and charming.

But Jack never had a girlfriend through out high school. Merry knew that since they spend more time other than Jack's male friends. Jack is serious when it comes to studying. And if she told him she likes him? She thought she'll be rejected in an instant. And he might ignore her because she will be a distraction to him.

She sighed as she played with her food. She knew she will never have the chance.

"Don't play with food Merry."Jack's serious voice lingered in her ears. Even though it was commanding, it feels so good in her ears, unlike before which doesn't affect her much.

She cleared her throat. "O-Of course."

Damn it! Why can't I just talk to him straight just like before? Why am I stuttering?!

Merry cursed inside her head before eating her lunch properly. Moments became silent after that until they all finished their lunch and the review comes.

This will be their last year in senior high school. Kidding around was left in junior year, and now is the time to be serious.

And a month from now, they will be waving goodbye at each other and go on with their separate ways.