↦ chapter four | spanglish

Chapter four -

CHARLES

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

          Her accent. It kept me up all night. It was foreign yet familiar.

          I am under the impression that I know this girl, yet I have no recognition of her. It's just her voice that has me holding on. 'Come on, mate, you're becoming obsessed.' Was what Carlos argued to me when I let him in on the fact that I recall her captivating and alluring accent.

          I couldn't quite grasp where it originated. It was definitely not an English accent, neither was it American. It simulates the syllables of what I can only recognise as an Australian accent. Yet, the majority of words which escaped her mouth had a small twist to them, definitely not Australian, almost Scandinavian? I've been thrown off track completely.

          "Charles mon chéri, you need to get up or you will be late." My mother's voice resembled that of an alarm clock ringing and ringing at me, although in this situation, I couldn't hit snooze.

          Early in my stay here at the hospital, my mother decided that I needed help. Not just the physical kind -that's why I'm in a hospital. But she believes that I'm gradually, nonchalantly becoming depressed. Such a lovely thing to hear from your mother.

          Her reasoning behind this; she presumed that I spend all my day in bed, barely leaving this ward, I only read one of two books over and over again and I tend to have weird eating patterns. Why what else am I supposed to do mother? I am stuck inside this hospital for way too long, and it's not like there's much to do here.

          So there is the cause of my low groans, my verbal indication that I didn't want to get out of bed, and attend these support group meetings. Joining a support groups was my mothers solution to 'cure my depression' but in reality, it was probably only increasing it.

          "Okay, if you really don't want to go, then can we at least talk about Ãmilienne she has recently-" my pillow blocked out the rest of my mothers sentence. My body simply rejected the words flowing from my mothers mouth.

          The human body is smart. Being in this hospital has increased my limited biology knowledge. From all the bright posters littering the corridor walls. My brain told my body that I didn't want to hear something, so I physically declined it. The human body works in so many fascinating ways.

          Now that my career had come to a dramatic halt, I have nothing to do. Meaning, I have no excuse as to why I shouldn't hear my mother out.

          Ãmilienne is a young Monaguesce woman. I have only met her once face to face, yet my mother is wishing for me to marry her.

          Marriage is a considerably substantial step in a person's life. It meant dropping everything else, and devotions not only yourself and your love, but your whole life to another person. Call me a commitment-phobe, but that scared me. Yet, I desired that feeling, that somebody to devote myself to. The body works in fascinating ways.

          I believe once you find 'the one' and you connect, you feel it. I believe that you would know when you meet 'the one' and that when you do, you'll know you're ready to settle down.

          I believe that it doesn't take multiple conversations to really know if somebody is 'the one' because if you don't feel a spark at first, how do you know you'll ever find it? Much like in a store, if you don't see anything you like at first glance, do you keep looking or do you try another store?