↦ chapter eleven | brother?

chapter eleven-

DEATH

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

However, the peaceful scene was disrupted when the door was opened, and quite frankly Charles couldn't believe his eyes at who was standing on the other side. Just the other day he and Carlos had been discussing Marcus Armstrong's future over a news anchor announcing his possible retirement.

It felt bizarre, and quite honestly surreal to Charles that Marcus Armstrong was standing within a few meters of the Monegasque. Obviously they had met before, as both drivers previously being in the Ferrari driver academy. But that wasn't what shocked Charles.

However, what surprised him more was the reaction the group of people bestowed Marcus, more particularly the sight of Ellie leaping out of her seat with Emilio still in her arms. But what really caused the rise of an eyebrow from Charles was when the three enveloped each other in a comprehensive hug. How did his newest... companion? He wasn't quite sure what to label what Ellie meant to him- knew Marcus, let alone knew him well enough to unhesitatingly embrace him.

The young seven year old, occupied hoisted in Ellie's arms, giggled when he reached his arms out and Ellie took Emilio's arms and wrapped them around Marcus's neck as the young boy was now hauled in the Kiwi's arms, almost like a young koala clinging onto its parent.

If only Charles wasn't so confused, he almost would have found the sight adorable. No- scrap that. Charles found the sight adorable regardless, I mean anyone would. They way Emilio's bright red slightly oversized jumper contrasted Marcus's dark navy, almost charcoal black hoodie was an artist's dream, so aesthetically pleasing to the eye as the warm fairy lights highlighted their features. But we're getting too caught up in the colours once again, my apologies.

What made Charles even more confused was that the slight buzzing chatter which previously occupied the room was now directed at Marcus rather than the separate conversations certain groups were having. Almost everyone in the room was smiling at him, some even greeting him like they were best buddies. They all knew Marcus, well.

Charles was well aware that apart from racing in the Ferrari Driver Academy that the racing drivers had their own separate personal lives. And Charles also knew that he and the Kiwi were never the closest out of the boys. However, he would have thought that he would know something about this. Charles thought maybe he was naïve but it felt like Marcus was living a double life. And oh how Charles would come to realise how naïve he is in the future.

The chatter had now died down as more people began to become settled once again. Emilio was still clinging onto Marcus' torso. Charles couldn't miss the large smile that was now plastered onto Ellie's face, it made him smile a little, seeing her happy that is.

As she almost skipped from delight back to where Charles and her were sitting, she looked happier. It seemed stupid to say that. How Ellie's whole demeanour had changed within a matter of seconds, but it was true. Her posture was better, her eyes lit up and she had a constant smile on his face.

Charles didn't mind one bit because it for some reason or another meant Ellie was being more cosy with him. She nestled into Charles' side, causing Charles to look down at her in slight surprise.

Over the past few weeks that Charles had begun to get to know Ellie, she hadn't come off as an overly affectionate person. She was always quite guarded and was very hesitant with opening up, not wanting to appear too vulnerable and weak. Yet somehow, when she was with Charles and they were having these deep conversations, that all seemed to disappear.