𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑

A/N - this chapter is a flashback.

---

"oh, (name) darling, you don't know how proud we are. you managed to get into one of the prestigious universities." a woman in her fourties giggled as she read her daughter's letter over and over again. "yeah. we never expected you to go to such a school." a man said from beside the woman. "you were always... how do i put this...?" he trailed off. "dumb?" a younger boy asked with crossed arms. "saeyoung! don't say that about your sister! she accomplished something that will help all of us!" the woman scolded at the (hair colour) boy who just looked away, suddenly finding the coffee table interesting.

"it's okay, don't worry about it. i'll get some tea ready." (name) said before standing up, walking to the small kitchen in their apartment. she started making some tea, secretly slipping a white drug in all of the three cups. she needed her family to forget her before she leaves tonight. but she didn't want to kill them. so, thanks to her medical science knowledge, she managed to make a drug which alters their memories, specifically about her.

"here's the tea." (name) said before setting the three cups on the coffee table. "i actually need to pick up something from the post office. i'll be right back." she excused herself from her family, walking to the front door, and walking out from it.

little did (name)'s family know, they would never see, nor remember her.

(name) didn't return to the kim household that night. she didn't return the night after either. she never did.

-

the girl with (hair colour) hair stood outside the apartment building, patiently waiting for something—rather someone to pull up and take her away to her new home. she took the risk of drugging her family and teachers. she won't miss them or anything. she was after all, a nobody. or that's what she thought.

she caught sight of a white limo driving to where she was standing. she knew it was them. after all, who would just drive a limo to a random girl's home without explanation? the limo pulled up beside her. a male figure had walked out from it. he was wearing a formal suit, and a black mask which covered his whole face except for the eyes, which was a dark brown colour, matching his raven black hair which was also visible. he opened one of the doors of the limo from the back, motioning (name) to get in. he couldn't talk before her. she was after all, one of his superiors from that day forward. (name) mumbled a small "thank you." before getting inside the limo, looking around the luxurious space. the same masked man bowed slightly in a manner of respect before closing the limo door, walking forward to sit down in another seat which was directly behind the driver.

the limo started to drive off. unfortunately, the windows were heavily tinted to (name) couldn't see anything outside. but that was also a good sign so that she couldn't feel any sense of guilt or regret when looking outside.

(name) started to get bored after a few minutes, so she went ahead and asked something. "hey, where's that front man guy?" she asked. "the front man is back at the island, the place the squid games were held." the driver replied, not taking his eyes off the road. (name) nodded in understanding. one of the formally dressed men played some classy music, and placed a tray of drinks—probably wine on the small table in front of her. (name) reluctantly picked up a glass which had a light red liquid in it. she didn't like alcohol, but drank it anyway in appreciation of the masked men getting it ready for her.

the whole moment is just like when she first got picked up to play the squid games a year ago. the only differences were that instead of a huge suspicious van, it's a white limo, probably the same limo that they drove to drop (name) off after she had won the squid games and the money. the second difference was that they were surprisingly not filling the limo with a spray which knocks people unconscious. just to make sure, she had to ask. "you're not going to knock me unconscious or something, are you?" she asked. "no. we would do that if you decide to escape, but it seems like you're not." one of the other formally dressed men in masks replied. "well to me, this is just a whole new experience where i can get away from that place I once called home." (name) mumbled.

after a few hours of a comfortable silence, the limo finally came to a halt, at what seemed to be... a ship? (name) knew it was a ship. it was swaying from left to right slightly. (name) thanked god for not diagnosing her with motion sickness.

the same masked man from before opened the limo door once again. (name) got out and looked around. she was indeed on a huge ship. it was sailing towards an island, which she assumed was the whole headquarters of the place. she walked towards the silver railing of the side of the ship, leaning forward slightly to see the island, but making sure she was far away enough so she doesn't fall off.

one of the squid game approached her, a small pile of clothes in his hands. "lady (name), this is what you must wear whenever you're in business. the mask is optional." he explained, handing the clothes to his new superior. (name) observed the clothes, specifically the mask. it was different from the other masks that the guards and front man had. it was a white and black drama mask.

"thank you." (name) thanked the guard and bowed a bit. "it will take some time to get to the destination. there is a changing room over there. i suggest you get changed in the meantime." the guard said, pointing to a room inside the ship. (name) simply nodded and walked inside the room, closing, and locking the door behind her.

-

after (name) had changed, she looked at her reflection on the mirror. she wore a formal suit. a white dress shirt, a black business coat over it, a black tie, and a black business skirt. she wore black tights underneath, and wore black combat boots. overall, she looked formal and badass as heck.

she decided to do her hair as well. she's wearing something nice, so it's reasonable to tie her hair nicely as well. she released her (hair length) hair from the messy bun it was always in. she tied her hair using a (favourite colour) ribbon in a high ponytail.

she then heard a knock on the door. she recognised the voice as the guard who gave her the clothes. "lady (name), the ship is about to stop at the island. please leave your clothes inside so we can take them your room." he spoke. "oh alright." she replied. she heard his footsteps fade away, so she looked at herself in the mirror one more time, her straight face turning into a proud smile. "you can do this. think of this as starting over your entire life." she told yourself before exiting the room, to her new job.