《CH》old asean backstory/history headcanon

Content Warnings!
Slight mentions: mentions of the Vietnam war, hate towards political parties.
Major mentions: anxiety, depression and suicidal thoughts, possible ADHD.

I'll upload the newer one in a bit I just need to finalize it officially

ALSO THIS IS SO INACCURATE

-------

ASEAN's backstory isn't really as controversial as the countries had as he came very recently, however he does have some ups and downs in the past where he never got his head off and needed to take note. This is pretty much the summarized version I could make with a little more details, so sorry if it's long lmao. This is just one of my headcanons about his backstory as I have a bunch, but this will be the only one I'll be using most of the time as I'm pretty used to this more than the others :). also if you read Haystack then please don't refer my hcs there compared to here since they're so different

He will be referred to as "ASA"' until ASEAN is founded, and for the first many paragraphs he would automatically have the old flag.

Before ASEAN

After the SEATO (Southeast Asia Treaty Organization) was disbanded, the Philippines and Thailand agreed together with Indonesia to create a new organization, the Association of Southeast Asia, or ASA for short. About 5 days later, a then-stranger, who was still around 8 years of physical age, was seen outside Thailand's kingdom garden of some sort looking around at the flowers and observing each and every insect they would see. It's flag was only white in color, but seen under the red variant. They also had pure golden wings, and a somehow golden halo. That person would be known as ASA, later known as ASEAN.

The then-Thailand would see the randomly found organization in the garden, confused and concerned. They both had a little chat on where he came from-he doesn't know how he got into the garden and how he was alive. Eventually, Thailand brought ASA into a room and let him live there with proper food, clothes, etc.

A year and a half later, Thailand would get into a controversy with Indonesia. Meanwhile, they would also study about why ASA was alive, eventually about 6 months later they would notice the purpose of the child. Being under so much pressure and having a huge shadow at their back, Thailand decided to lock ASA up in the room, making sure he doesn't escape. Thailand forgets about him and moves on from it.

One day (around a year later), ASA, who was now physically aged 13, "accidentally" found his way outside the castle. There outside he met Singapore, who literally was around the same age at that time. The two hung out once then Singapore actually asked him to live in his house (secretly) after being locked up for so long. ASA agreed. They both then became best friends who shared actual common interests, and helped each other with businesses, even if ASA hasn't actually brought outside in which he understood. Thailand actually got angry that he disappeared, never knew where he went but decided to keep their emotion silent.

Around that time, he was practically transitioning and questioning why he existed in the first place. He asked Singapore about his purpose but they didn't know the answer. He then started reading books and looking at outside sources (where he knew about the EU whom he quickly looked up to), and took a year to figure out his purpose in why he came to Earth. He then talked to Singa about it, which then was given a lot of moral support.

The year before the official organization was founded, Thailand visited Singapore's house for some sort of affiliation reasons. Thailand met ASA again (now physically 15; Singa was 14), got really angry but calmed down quickly as they realized their mistake on locking him in the room without hesitation, and explaining that their mind was basically crumpled due to Malaysia and Indonesia. ASA was actually quick to forgive. The three then had a discussion as they suggested that they should remake the organization, but this time more bigger and making sure it doesn't separate quickly like what happened to ASA.

Foundation; first 30 years

About a year later, on August 7, the day before Singapore's birthday, Thailand and Singapore called up Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines to sign a new organization, which is now known as ASEAN.

The signing was actually quicker than usual since it was a pretty short, 2 page essay about the organization's purpose and ideals. Singapore would then present ASEAN to everyone in the hall. Indonesia wasn't actually surprised, Malaysia was both shocked and confused, and the Philippines was angry that Thailand never told him about his existence while Phil told everything about SEATO. It literally took him about 5 years to get over that anger.

Phil was then assigned chairman, as well as they started adding more members into the organization. ASEAN himself actually got a hold of the new responsibility really quickly, despite him not knowing his entire purpose until that day. He was pretty much unknown for the first couple of years, then it started getting a little dramatic.

ASEAN was then called by the EU at one point and they started affiliating. He also, since that affiliation, started attending United Nation meetings, but they actually haven't been officially affiliated until 2010.

Things like the Vietnam War got him involved, he did bring up forces to support the south but had to retreat. He hated communist parties heavily in the past, but that hate kind of faded away when Vietnam joined. He is still indubitably frustrated with disputes with Borneo and the Philippine Sea.

Outside of work, he started... questioning things. He would usually "have some time alone" with himself. He wasn't actually mentally okay-at that point he was actually depressed. He did cut for a few days, but that was until Brunei and Cambodia(?) noticed him and tried their best to comfort him. He still has these thoughts until today, but it wasn't as hurtful as it was before. He would often not communicate with Thailand after what happened between the two at the past, overall just pretty shy and careless of both himself and others outside of work.

All of those aside, he was pretty standard at work, since he wasn't really fully ready to adjust to that environment. He started to calm down when he reached 30, however.

30th Birthday

All of the ASEAN members planned a surprise gift by a waterfall. The UN and the EU may have been part of other plans as well, some Asian countries like Japan were also involved. Once ASEAN arrived, they usually would have the casual "party things" but something unexpected happened instead.

In the middle of eating their lunch, Laos reported that ASEAN was lost and was nowhere nearby. Everyone in the party panicked, but ASEAN was actually just exploring around the waterfall. Eventually he was able to find some sort of treasure chest behind the waterfall, and it made him motivated to change his flag immediately. Idk how to write this properly but like he was able to change his flag after opening the chest- help idk this sounds so stupid now lmAo. Eventually he found his way back, and made some announcements like Singapore would be the new chairman and stuff related to you know. (Yeah he did say it was "magical" on the qna channel, because it technically is!)

Present-day

ASEAN is still pretty much active until this day, although not many people acknowledge it. ASEAN, UN and EU have been pretty close ever since then, both inside and outside of work. They have been on each other's side for a while now, depending on the situation occurring at that current moment.

His relationships with his members have gotten better as well, especially to Thailand and Myanmar. He started talking about Papua New Guinea and Timor Leste to join the organization (but actually doesn't let them in yet since they don't fit the "requirements"), and he started a forum which nearly acts as SEATO/NATO.