₀₃

Astrid loved being underestimated

Astrid loved being underestimated. Being a daughter of Aphrodite made it all the more easier for others to brush her under a rug. Nothing more than an afterthought. It paved way for minimal expectations from her, something Astrid encouraged even, performing half-heartedly during sword fighting classes even if Silena was watching her with hawk eyes. With all the motivational talk her older sister would give her she'd almost push herself to try. Damn her for being so persuasive. But in the end what was all her training worth if even monsters thought her to be insignificant, not worthy for their claws to slash through.

It didn't help that the moment she stepped on Camp Half-Blood's boundaries she felt an ever present shift. It's always happened even before everything. A little shock to her spine telling her to bolt and run away. Nevertheless, she shook it off and made a run for her cabin, not before exchanging air kisses and a tight hug with her maman and a cheeky salute to Julian with plans already on where to go after summer.

Astrid liked to think herself being flexible, open to plans changing. Unfortunately, she wasn't. She couldn't really use the excuse of being surrounded by mortals in a school to delay practising on her mother's gift. Not if she wanted her new mascara bottle to mysteriously run dry again.

Arriving later than most would when it came to the summer session opening again, Astrid saw that all her siblings had arrived before her and were probably on to their schedule before lunch. Dragging her Goyard suitcase, she settled it underneath her bed, for now, resolute in organizing her things for later in the night. Changing from one of her many dresses to an outfit more suitable for movement that wasn't that standard orange camp shirt, she dragged herself towards the Athena cabin.

It never really mattered whom you'd ask when it came to the question of who was the best with knives. Everyone agreed it was Annabeth.

Astrid knocked politely on the cabin door before opening it enough to sneak a peek and— of fucking course it was empty too, honestly.

Resolving instead to just walk around camp and see who she'll run across first, her cabin or Annabeth's.

She was nearing the forges when something tickled her brain, before coming to a realization. Of course, Charles would know where Silena and the rest of her cabin were.

"Beckendorf, my good sir!" Astrid cheekily smiled.

Charles raised his head from whatever he was working on rolled his eyes when he saw her. "What can I do for you, my fair lady?" He quipped.

"Think you can tell me where my beautiful sister is?"

"Silena's—" He stammered out before realizing with a blush. "Hey!"

"I didn't say anything." Astrid raised her hands in defeat.

"They're over by the pegasi stables."

"Better be confessing soon before I spill anything!" Astrid waved him goodbye, ducking out from the shed.