₀₇

If they were miserable earlier, well they looked downright pathetic right now

If they were miserable earlier, well they looked downright pathetic right now. Astrid knew quests weren't exactly a 5-star hotel stay, but the camp they had set up with the things they'd got from the warehouse just had to do.

Astrid went off to a little corner of her own for some quiet and cuddled onto a blanket she had stolen, quickly falling asleep to the lull of Percy and Grover's murmurs.

They'd decided to sleep in shifts, and Percy had volunteered to take first watch.

Percy dragged his blanket over to Astrid's spot, wanting to be close to her, liking to pretend it was just them two again at Yancy. Back when there were no monsters, when most of their worries were late assignments, and their late-night adventures were for hot chocolate. Her head lay in his lap as he leaned against a tree. Astrid curled into herself closer, pulling the blanket tighter.

In her dreams, she was back in front of the gaping pit. Ghostly figures surrounded her, they tugged at her clothes, trying to pull her back to no avail. Feeling compelled to walk right up to the edge, regretting it after looking down made her dizzy at the depth of it, there was no bottom she could see.

Playing hero, are we? A voice said at the bottom. Chills traveled down Astrid's spine; it's been weeks since she heard that voice. But she was sure it was the same evil one that had her crying when she awoke.

I never thought I'd see the day, yet here you are. A love goddess spawn made to be a weapon, she even gave you little gifts. But you're still useless, you think so yourself.

Astrid had no words to say back at the voice, so she kept quiet.

Join me, and I will make you into a fine weapon.

"I'm nobody's weapon," Astrid finally let out.

Oh? Your mother certainly thinks so. You still don't believe in your own power.

No! Don't listen! The shades grappled at her. Wake!

With a sharp breath, Astrid woke.

"Ow!" Her hand came up to rub the back of her head.

She turned to look at what she hit only to see Percy rubbing his chin with a pained look on his face.

"Easy there, angel."

She winced at her clumsiness, resolving to pat his chin gently as a there, there gesture. "Désolé."

Percy only ruffled her hair in reply. It had got out of its updo after everything and the ribbon that held it together hung on by a miracle. He didn't stop to hesitate running his hands over to smoothen it to which it miraculously obeyed for some reason and proceeded to tie it half-up just the way he knew she liked it.

"How long were we asleep?" Percy asked over her shoulder.

"Long enough for me to cook breakfast." Annabeth tossed Astrid a bag of nacho-flavored corn chips. "And Grover went exploring. He found a friend."