₁₅

"You're not thinking of going on that quest, are you?" Koa asked her after she tucked him in after a bedtime story

"You're not thinking of going on that quest, are you?" Koa asked her after she tucked him in after a bedtime story. He was turning out to be very perceptive. "Or are you gonna save the world like last time?"

Astrid managed a light laugh. "Is that what Lacy's been telling you?"

Koa nodded under his sheets. He was too young to realise the gravity of things, but he can still feel the suffocating atmosphere.

She couldn't tell him she didn't feel much like a hero.

"I'll do what I can."

Astrid gave him a final goodnight kiss on the forehead and it was lights off.

The moon was at its peak, shining through her window. Silena had long gone to sleep along with the rest of their siblings.

Astrid turned for the nth time in her bed and watched Drew with the dim light from her vanity table. Her sister always liked doing her makeup, says it calms her down.

Their relative peace was interrupted when a noise from Astrid's window. It went on for another few seconds. Like someone was throwing pebbles at them. She opened them abruptly, almost getting hit by another pebble if she didn't catch it in her hand.

"Shit!" A voice whispered from below. Then an awkward cough. "Um, sorry. I mean—What light through yonder window breaks? It is the east, and Astrid is the sun."

Astrid looked at Percy underneath her window. "You said their story was stupid!" She hissed.

"It still is!"

"How did you even know which window was mine?"

"You always liked being where the moon was brightest," Percy said, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. He raised his arms in invitation, carrying a beach blanket and what should've been a six-pack of Coke but the other half was occupied with cans of a fizzy lemon soda.

Astrid glanced back towards Drew.

"Go see what lover boy wants." Drew dimmed the lights until they were completely left in the dark now. "I'll cover for you."

"And...I guess I hope you can tell him I'm sorry about that other time. I know I'm a coward."

"You're not a coward. And I already did, by the way."

Drew gave her a hint of a smile before silently blowing her a kiss.

"I love you too!" Astrid whispered.

She jumped out of her window, over the potted plants and landed softly without a sound.

"You heard her, didn't you?"

"All of it."

Astrid let Percy lead them to the surf, thinking it funny he knew more than her how to sneak around camp.