₀₈

Astrid had never given much thought to how she would die

Astrid had never given much thought to how she would die. She just knew it was going to be a short life. She didn't know it was going to be now.

Winds raced past her ears as she and Percy fell, clutching onto each other.

"Perseus Jackson, you cowardly idiot! How DARE you leave me alone with those monsters!" Astrid shrieked at his ear.

"They were after me, they would have left you alone!" he screamed back at her.

"They're monsters! We were both gonna die anyway you self-sacrif—!"

Percy held onto her tighter as he took the brunt of the impact. The water engulfed them in a flurry of white, but it hadn't hurt him. In fact, he wasn't hurting anywhere. He couldn't feel the Chimera poison boiling in his veins anymore.

They settled to the bottom of the river soundlessly when he made the realization that he wasn't wet either and so was Astrid, but she was unconscious, at least he hoped she was. Not wanting his friend to drown he didn't risk letting go of his hold on her all throughout his conversation with the messenger from his father.

He kicked them up to the surface with little hindrance after retrieving Riptide and came ashore next to a floating McDonald's.

Astrid took a gasp of air once they broke the surface.

A block away, every emergency vehicle in St. Louis was surrounding the Arch. Police helicopters circled overhead. The crowd of onlookers reminded them of Times Square on New Year's Eve.

"We're alive! How are we alive?" Astrid said, a look of shock on her face.

"Father saved us."

"And we're dry! Thank the gods I don't look like a drowned rat. You better have thanked him or I swear—"

"I did!"

"Good!"

"Why did you even jump after me? You could've—" Percy looked at her indignantly.

"And let you die alone, dumbass? I go where you go, remember? It was a losing situation, anyway." She crossed her arms.

He shook his head at her stubbornness, not willing to argue anymore. He was only glad they ended up alright.

Holding hands so that they don't get separated, they pushed through the crowds, looking for Annabeth and Grover. They ducked their heads as they avoided officers, reporters, and cameras.

Astrid started to get frustrated as they saw no signs of their companions, until a familiar voice bleated, "Perrr-cy!"

Grover tackled him into a bear hug while Annabeth fussed over Astrid.

"We thought you'd gone to Hades the hard way!" Grover exclaimed.

Annabeth tried to look angry, but even she seemed relieved to see them.