001

"Mutualism is a symbiotic relationship in which both species benefit from the activity of the other individual. This ecological interaction is common in nature. When either individual is absent, the other individual experience serious negative repercussions, to the point that it may even die." The biology teacher's voice rang out loudly and clearly, as though she was a singing cicada.

The warm embrace of the setting sun crept into the classroom, casting its light on half the hall, whilst the other half remained shrouded in darkness.

Arthit sat on the side that separated the dark from the light. The bright sunlight caused him to squint, his long, black eyelashes offering little help in blocking the sunlight.

A shadow loomed over him. It was the principal. Two police officers trailed behind him.

Silence descended upon the entire classroom.

"Arthit Rojnapat," The principal stood in front of him, a warm smile plastered over his usually stern face. "Could you come out for a minute?"

Arthit glanced towards the two police officers, his face paling slightly. He then took a quick glance at the empty seat in front of him and gulped. He slowly placed his mechanical pencil down. When he rose from his seat, he tugged the hem of his coat closer to himself.

The gaze of the biology teacher, along with those of the entire class, followed him out of the classroom; and when their eyes could no longer see him, their ears followed him, the hair on their ears standing upright in their effort to hear what little news they could.

The principal patted Arthit's shoulder, in an attempt to console him, "Don't worry, they are just going to ask you a few questions."

One of the police officer wore an extremely stern expression on his face, while the other young police officer had a friendly smile on his face.

Arthit closed his eyes as he took a deep breath and nodded, silently following the principal to his office. Having taken a few steps, the principal suddenly turned his head back into the classroom, chiding the students who were bursting with curiosity, "Concentrate!"

Upon arriving at the principal's office, Arthit sat down, the cold air from the air conditioner crawling into his skin......

The principal looked at Arthit and asked calmly, "Nong Arthit, you do know why these two police officers are here today, don't you?"

"I-I...kn......know." Arthit had a habit of stuttering despite not being anxious in the least. Although his face was terribly pale, it was because he was born with naturally pale skin.

The young police officer took sympathy on Arthit, and asked, "You know we are here because Namtarn Ritthirong committed suicide by jumping off the school building?"

Arthit nodded his head, his hazel eyes staring unblinkingly at him.

"You ought to know why we chose to ask you, and not anyone else, right?"

"That day I was...... was on clean...... clean-up duty."

"That day, Namtarn, you and two other classmates were responsible for cleaning up the classroom together. After the four of you had completed the task of cleaning up the classroom, the two students left, leaving you and Namtarn all alone in the classroom."

Arthit nodded.

"You said that you left before Namtarn did."

Arthit nodded his head once more.

"On that day, did Namtarn leave you with any message or reveal any information to you?"

Arthit shook his head, his eyes sharp and clear.