026

When the bell which signaled the end of the final graduation exam rang out, the students collectively heaved a huge sigh of relief, and immediately proceeded to pepper their schedules with all sorts of activities, ranging from karaoke, to playing computer games, to playing pool.

Just as Arthit was about the exit the school compound, he caught a glimpse of a tall, slender male with a sun kissed skin donning a white t-shirt standing just right across the road.

Without a moment's hesitation, Arthit flew down the steps leading towards the exit of the school compound, frantically shoving the numerous students enjoying a quiet and thankful reunion with their parents along the exterior of the school compound out of his way, and recklessly navigated the stream of traffic which separated him from the tall, slender male. Upon reaching the tall, slender male, he grabbed hold of the hem of his t-shirt and gave it a quick tug.

The tall and slender male turned back to look at Arthit. It wasn't him.

Just then, the tall and slender male lifted his head slightly, and directed his gaze towards the person who had appeared behind Arthit. 

Arthit let the hem of the white t-shirt fall from his sweaty grip, and slowly turned back.

It was Knott, along with numerous other police officers dressed in casual attire. Parked right next to them was a police car.

Arthit sat himself down in the police car. He had left one prison cell, only to enter another prison cell.

"Who is he?" Senior Prem indicated at the tall, slender male who Arthit had ran towards moments earlier.

"I mistook him for somebody else." Arthit's face had resumed its signature blank, calm and collected expression.

"Who did you think it was?"

"A classmate of mine."

"Does your classmate resemble Kongpob?"

"Everybody resembles each other to a certain extent." A frosty expression settled over Arthit's face. Outside the police car, innumerable students milled about in their school uniforms.

In the interrogation room, Arthit and the officers stared at each other in muted silence.

As Arthit had continually refused to provide the police officers with the contact details of his family members, and had exhibited extreme revulsion towards his class teacher and other teachers in school, Knott did not notify the school about Arthit's second round of interrogation, and had instead invited the female lawyer who had been present for Arthit's previous round of interrogation.

Knott started, "Do you know why we called you in today?"

"I don't know." Arthit shook his head resolutely, the ends of his hair brushing lightly against the collar of his school uniform.

Senior Prem exchanged glances with Knott, his stern gaze warning Knott not to believe the words uttered by Arthit, but to proceed with the questioning as planned.

However, just as Knott opened his mouth to continue with the interrogation, the sharp, horrendous images from the video they had watched hours earlier flashed across his mind – the beating; the stripping; it was as though Arthit was just a piece of meat for all to share. Knott shut his eyes tightly, a sense of acute helplessness engulfing him from within. For a long time, Knott simply sat across Arthit, unable to bring himself to utter another word.

Senior Prem shot a quick glance at Knott before continuing the interrogation. "We have recently discovered a video recording, which showed the entire ordeal Jay and his gang put you through the day before Jay went missing."