019

Knott was momentarily stunned. The facts spoke louder than his eloquence.

Nodding his head, he lowered his voice, "Understood."

"Besides that, we also discovered some synthetic fibres underneath the deceased fingernails – these fibres probably came from objects such as sanitary masks." Forensic Scientist Toota continued, "The deceased only suffered from one fatal stab wound, which pierced his liver. Based on the angle of the wound, it appears that the suspect was much taller than the deceased, and a rough gauge of the suspect's height would range from 170cm to 177cm."

The captain knocked on the table sharply, and reminded the team, "This point is still under debate. Keeping in mind that the murder happened alongside the assault, the deceased could very well have been lying on the ground when he was murdered. If we use the angle of the deceased's wound to narrow the suspect's height, we may very well end up eliminating the suspect from our pool of candidates."

"Yes."

Flipping the autopsy report open, photos of the deceased Jay flashed before Knott's eyes. Jay's wrists, shoulders, and thighs, all reflected bruises and wounds commonly suffered during self-defense. It also proved that he put up a struggle against his perpetrator.

After the meeting ended, Knott dragged Senior Prem into his very own office, and poured a glass of water for him, "Stressed – if we're unable to resolve the case soon, we'd most likely drown to death from all the saliva that would be spat at us."

"There are some special cases, where simply relying on the traditional methods of investigation is insufficient." Senior Prem drank a mouthful of water, "Sometimes, we have to rely on what I talked about during the previous meeting –"

"Criminal psychology." Knott completed Senior Prem's sentence for him.

"Bingo." Senior Prem responded, "Let's use this case as an example – why do you think the rapist committed the rape? There could be four types of reasons for the rape: First, power driven criminal, where the criminal committed the rape to gratify his strong desire for power and control; second, the emotionally driven criminal, where the criminal committed the rape in order to build extremely an intimate relationships; third, the venting criminal, where the criminal committed the crime in order to unleash all his inner rage, unhappiness and dissatisfaction; fourth, the curious criminal, where the criminal committed the crime in order to satisfy his curiosity regarding sexuality – such criminals are often youthful criminals committing a standalone crime."

Knott nodded, "I took a look at the report you wrote. You stated in the report that after your interview with the two victims, your preliminary determination was that the criminal in this present case is one who is driven by his desire to vent."

"Yes. The power driven criminal tends to be in an older age group; the emotionally driven criminal tends to be extremely meticulous and detailed, and because of their desire for a relationship, they would often take the victim's feelings into consideration and communicate with them."

"A youth who is a venting criminal." Knott murmured to himself.

"I'm not surprised that our venting criminal's crimes escalated from rape to murder. After all, he is enraged and he has encountered innumerable obstacles in his life, and he is desperate to release all his frustrations; and yet, the victim struggles against him, trying their best to defend herself. The victims would probably humiliate him, and scold him. The criminal, now experiencing a new wave of obstacles once more, gradually escalates into murdering the victim. Furthermore, the criminal used a knife to stab the deceased to death – the stabbing action itself is an action which has strong underlying connotations of venting."