Chapter 1: Robin Fucking Buckley

Hey guys! This is my very first fan fiction, so I hope it's okay! Leave any spelling errors in the comments and I'll try to fix them. Thank you and have a lovely night or day! <3

...

I'm sitting in the back of Mr. Clicks' class as she drones on about whatever life-changing thing the lesson had in store for us today. It was the first day of the term, so I had tried to get a good scope of who was in my class. Tommy H and Carol sat on the other side of the class and were laughing loudly at some terrible joke Tommy had just made.

"And I was like, woah dude! This ain't that kind of establishment!" Tommy said which sent a ripple of giggles through the room. I rolled my eyes at Tommy's antics, and in doing so they fell on Robin.

Robin. Fucking. Buckley. What was she doing in this class? I could've sworn I saw her in this classroom as I walked by last term, heck, I was pretty sure my friend Jen had mentioned she was in this class with her.

She was pretty smart, so I doubted she failed the class. Maybe it's just a scheduling error, but either way, I'm not too upset about it. It's not every term I get to ogle over the prettiest girl in school.

Maybe this time I could do it; talk to her. I doubted it. I have had a crush on her since the end of Freshman year and seeing as I was halfway through Junior year, I didn't foresee my little "crush" on Robin dissipating into the air as so many others had.

It wasn't like she was one of the untouchables but I still could never work up the nerve to talk to her. How could I? She was perfect. The way her soft auburn hair sat on her shoulders and the way her constellation of freckles graced her skin was beyond me. She was beautiful on the outside, but also on the inside. She is artsy, witty, and probably has the best laugh I have ever heard. It sounds like silver bells I think. Light and musical. She started to draw on the side of her shoe lifting her foot up ever so slightly as she lounged casually in her desk. Everything she did was so casual and effortless.

Suddenly the classroom door slammed open and in walked Steve Harrington, who was late as usual.

"Tommy what's up man? Oh, hey Carol," he said as he slid into his desk. He took his grey bomber jacket off and placed it on the back of his chair. They started to talk amongst themselves, whispering about the latest rumors circulating Hawkins High- at least, that's what I assumed they were talking about. I had known Steve since elementary school and we weren't best friends by any measure but we were on speaking terms.

I looked back over to Robin, who was looking at Steve like no other person existed.

Fuck. I thought. She has a crush on Steve? This was going to be a long year. There was no way I could outrun the golden boy in Robin's heart. I might as well just forget about her. No, Y/n I'm not just going to give up. If I am going to talk to her I better do it now, and I better do it soon. I guess it's time to woman up.

I allowed the class to run through my mind, absently taking notes in my purple journal. It's not like English was all that hard, well, at least I'm pretty sure it's not. Every once in a while I allowed myself to glance at Robin, only to find her looking at Steve. Each time I became more jealous than the last. Sure, maybe I had no reason to be jealous, but that definitely did not stop me. Besides, Jen always tells me jealousy is natural.

At last the bell rang to release me from this backwards purgatory. I started to pack up my stuff into my blue backpack when Steve approached me.

"Hey, uh Y/n right?" He asked smiling. Steve was an asshole, but not a heartless one, so I returned the smile. Keep your enemies close right?

"Yeah, that's me. What's up Steve?" I said trying to act nonchalant. Steve rarely ever talked to anyone out of his circle, so I couldn't imagine what he wanted to talk to me for.

"I was wondering if you took notes. I really need to pass this class to play basketball, but I kinda spaced out during the lesson." He said rubbing his hand on his head, but still using that charming grin on me.

"Yeah I did, you can borrow them if you want," I said getting the purple notebook out of my bag and handing it to Steve.

"Thank-" he started to say, but I cut him off.

"But it's going to cost you," I said firmly. I just had the best idea I've ever had in my entire life. If Robin had a thing for Steve, what better way to get her to notice me than being around him? If I started to hang out with Steve it may not only get me a chance with Robin, but it may make Hawkins High less of a miserable hell-hole.

"What do you want?" Steve sighed.

"A ride to school in the morning?" I said hopefully.

Steve looked at you funny and laughed.

"What? Did I stutter?" I said smiling and chuckling.

"No, but is that really all you want? You don't want, oh I don't know, a date?" He said wiggling his eyebrows.

"No Steve," I said rolling my eyes. "A ride is perfectly fine."

"Okay, okay. Whatever you say Y/n. I'll pick you up tomorrow at 8:00 okay? You still live on the same street?" He asked.

"Yep. Thanks Steve I'll see you then," I say as I walk out of the classroom, fully aware that everyone left in the room was staring at me. Even Ms. Click. I felt bad for being short with Steve, but I didn't want him to get any ideas.

...

As I walked home I felt light, almost as if I was walking on air. This could finally be my chance to get Robin, and maybe even be friends with Steve? Both of the thoughts just seemed to overwhelm me.

Four boys zipped by on their bikes, one of them I recognize as Nancy Wheeler's brother.

"Sorry! Didn't see you there!" The curly headed boy called as he pedaled forward and laughed with his friends.

The motion caused the fall leaves around me to swirl and then fall to the pavement in front of me. I grabbed one as it fell and picked it apart for the rest of my walk to help distract me from what tomorrow would bring.

After about 10 minutes I arrived at my house. It was nothing special, but it was home. It was green, had a brown brick arch above the door, and a small porch with bushes around it. I pulled out my keys to unlock the door, my pac-man key chain clinking against the metal doorknob. My mom worked the night shift, so she was hardly ever home when I was. This was okay with me though. I didn't mind the peace and quiet.

I walk in the door and sit my bag on the round oak table by the door as Chip barks at me.

Chip was my beagle I've had since middle school. He had big brown eyes and a brown spot on his nose.

After I let Chip outside I went back to the dining room I got out my purple notebook and set a couple pens out so I can write Steve's notes later.

I head into the kitchen and rifle through the cupboards to find a snack. I settle on a sleeve of Ritz crackers, not ideal, but it's what I had to work with. I head back into the dining room and work on Steve's notes, but my thoughts never really left Robin.

Maybe she would finally notice me.