Chapter 10: The Newest Normal

Hey guys! I just want to say sorry for the very, very, very long break I've taken. I'm hoping to start releasing more chapters more frequently since I'm wayyyy less busy now! As always, if you have any suggestions, comments, or see any spelling errors, please let me know! XOXO

***

The next few days were a total blur, but in a good way. My brain was full of warm fuzzy thoughts, mainly about Robin. Believe it or not, I still wasn't 100% sure if she liked me. I mean we held hands, but isn't that something that friends do sometimes? I remember that when Jen and I were little we would hold hands as we walked to the park, but I never felt the way about her that I feel about Robin. Girls are so confusing; maybe that's why guys act so stupid sometimes? They don't quite understand how to decode us girls- but I'm no male expert, so I'm not sure. 

These were my shower thoughts. It was Monday, and like always, I had school. Now, I'm not saying Hawkins High is the best thing in the world, but I really don't mind high school. I find beauty in it; a sort of routine almost. I know that when I wake up Monday-Friday that I have to leave my house at 8. It's comforting, to be able to predict your whole day with 100% accuracy- at least, that's what I keep telling myself. 

I got out of the shower, humming Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins, and dried off. I had already decided that today I was going to see if Steve, Jen, and Robin wanted to go see a movie. Maybe I could talk Steve into bringing Nancy, though I doubt he would ask her. I looked into the mirror and brushed my teeth with bubblegum, not mint, toothpaste. Because, why not? Life is short, so if I want pink toothpaste, I'm getting pink toothpaste. I wrapped my towel around myself and walked to my room. I then did some quick makeup; mascara, eyeliner, blush, and a little bit of lipstick. I never did anything too crazy, but I do like to have a little bit on. It makes me feel good about myself. I didn't want to wear anything super nice today since it was cold and starting to snow. I opted for a brown sweater, jeans, a leather jacket, and my docs. Cool, but still comfy. 

I walked downstairs and grabbed my backpack, my notebook, and a pop-tart just as I heard Steve honk outside. I think I have this "morning routine" thing down to a science. I walked across the living room and opened my door. I was met with Steve blasting Like A Virgin by Madonna. Jesus Christ.

"Gooood Morning Y/L/N! How are you on this fine, snowy morning?" He said, shouting over the music. I shivered a bit. Was it always this cold during November? I walked to his car as I could feel my face turn maroon. How was he not embarrassed?

"I would be so much better if you would turn this fucking music off!" I yelled.

He turned the music down, but not off. "Uh-uh. No way. I love Madonna. That woman has star power, and she isn't afraid to use it," he said through the window. I sighed as I tried to open the car door, but it wouldn't budge.

"Steve! Let me in you absolute ass!" I exclaimed while throwing my hands up in frustration.

"No. If you're going to ride with me, you have to respect my rules. And rule #1 is I pick the music, and if you don't like it you deal with it." 

I stood there for a few moments, but eventually I had to cave because my fingers were going numb. I guess I'll have to let Madonna win today. "Fine. Okay. Whatever. Keep playing Madonna! I don't care! Just let me in! It's cold as fuck out here!" I said as I heard the metallic click of the door being unlocked. Thank god, because I could start to feel my legs go numb too.

I open the car door and am immediately met with warmth, and of course, Madonna was still playing. 

"So, Swan Lake, what's the plan today?" He asked, throwing the car in drive. It was the first day back at school since the party and the hand-holding, and I had kinda forgotten that I was going to have to talk to her today. What do I even say? 'Hey Baby, that hand-holding was tubular?' Yeah, I don't think so. I wonder if it will be awkward or not- I mean I'm pretty sure we've moved past the really awkward phase, but not entirely so. I think we might be in that weird limbo of "just friends" and "more than friends".