Chapter 4: All's Fair In Love and Hawkins

Steve is waiting outside for me this morning, at least he wasn't so early today. I grabbed my backpack and headed to his car. The weather was much more chilly today, I could see my breath in the air if I tried hard enough. As I was walking to his car I stumbled and almost tripped, which made me laugh.

"Hey Swan Lake? How are you so graceful?!" Steve shouted as he rolled he window down laughing. He accidentally hit his horn in doing so, which startled me and made me jump. Causing us both to laugh even harder.

"Fuck you Steve," I said still laughing as I slid into his car.

"You wish you could," he said raising one eyebrow at me playfully.

"No Steven, I really don't," I said teasing him back.

"Hey! It's Steve, not Steven. Steve is my full name!"

"Sure it is.." I said.

"You're an asshole, you know that?" He asked.

"I'm quite aware, but thank you for clearing that up," I laughed.

"Okay now on to serious stuff," he said shifting his car into drive. "When do you usually talk to Robin?"

"Uh.. not ever until yesterday," I say, realizing how stupid I sound.

"Well, that's going to have to change," he said as he turned a corner. "The first rule of being a chick magnet is to actually talk to girls."

"Chick magnet?" I said raising my eyebrows.

"You know what I mean," he said, not letting his poker face down. "I think from now on you need to talk to Robin once everyday."

Once everyday? Who does this man think you are? A womanizer?

"I know it sounds crazy, but I promise it works. It always has for me." He said matter of factly.

"Okay, fine. I'll try it, but how do I even start a conversation?" I ask.

"It's simple," he says. "You just look them in the eye, smile, and say hey. After that just let it flow naturally."

"Okay. I think I can do that," I say, even though I was nervous at just the thought.

"Remember, all's fair in love and Hawkins." He said.

"What?" I ask as a puzzled look crosses my face.

"I heard the saying yesterday," he said looking proud.

"Where?" I ask starting to laugh.

"Uh.. the bathroom stall?" He said.

"Steve, please never say that again," I teased.

Before I knew it we were parked and at school. Today I wasn't as nervous to get out of Steve's car. I had done it once, so what was the big deal now? I hop out of Steve's car and thank him for the ride.

I make my way into the school, continuing my habit of nodding at the people who choose to stare at me. I get by the doors and am stopped by a red-headed girl with short hair and glasses.

"Hey! I'm Barb, I'm running for student council, you should vote for me!" She said smiling at me.

This girl was adorable, but before I could say anything back to her she had made her way to the next group of people and I was holding a "Vote Barb!" pin in my hand. I decided I liked the girl, so I put the pin on the strap of my backpack and continue inside.

I walk down the halls and see Robin getting something out of her locker. I took a deep breath and walked towards her, remembering what Steve had said. Be confident and just say hey. That's all I had to do.

"No, Carson I don't want your stupid ham sandwich," she muttered, not even bothering to turn around. What? Who was Carson? Whatever, time to do what Steve said.

"Hey," I said trying to look casual with my hands in my pockets. She shot around and looked surprised.

"Oh, uh hey Y/n," she said, still obviously flustered. Had I made her nervous? Was that even a good sign? "How are you?" She said looking at me dead in the eyes. Oh my. I was not prepared for this question, what was I supposed to say to this?

"I'm good, how are you?" I said smiling at her. Perfect. Excellent nonchalance act.

"I'm actually great." She said softly smiling at you. Was she? Flirting with? You? No, no, no. Steve hadn't prepared me for this. Not even close. I didn't know this would go that far.

"Uh well, that's cool. Got to go!" I say and speed off down the hallway. Great, I just left her there and looked like a total idiot.

The rest of the day went well, and chatting with Jen at lunch was always therapeutic. Apparently there was some kind of bonfire this weekend that she was going to, but I wasn't really interested. Jen was way more into parties than I was.

When I got to Click's class Robin just looked at me. She must think I'm a psycho. How could she not? I just ducked your head and let the class go on- and took notes for Steve. I drew Robin again, but this time it was better. It was easier to draw someone when you knew what their voice was like. It's a hard concept to explain, but it's just the way my brain worked.

When the bell rang I gave my notes to Steve and as I walk out of the building I explain what happened with Robin.

"Let me get this straight Swan Lake," he said. "You just left her there... as she was trying to talk, and quite possibly, flirt with you?" He asked.

"Yes, Steve! I didn't know what to say!" I said as Steve tried to unsuccessfully stifle a chuckle.

"Oh god. This is going to be harder than I thought." He said throwing his hands in his pockets.

"Okay here. I've got an idea. Tomorrow you can invite Robin to Tommy and Carol's bonfire. There will be other people around, and I will be there to help you" he said. "That way if you get stuck at all, you won't do anything super tragic," he continued as we walked through the doors and into the side lawn.

"Wait, but don't I have to be invited by Tommy or Carol to go?" I asked, genuinely concerned.

"It's a party Y/n, not a gala. You just kind of show up," he said shaking his head.

"Oh, uh, right. I totally knew that," I said trying to play it cool.

"No you didn't," he said laughing and continuing to the parking lot. "I'll see you tomorrow Swan Lake!" He yelled.

I walked home as usual, and I just couldn't keep my mind off of Robin. I had only talked to her three times. How was I going to invite her to a party?