Chapter 11: Big, Fat, Juicy Liar

I walk into English with Steve and see that Robin's desk is empty. I walk to my desk as Steve saunters over to his corner with Tommy and Carol. I'm not sure what he sees in them, but I guess he likes them. I don't really think too much about Robin being gone. I figured she must be sick or something. It's flu season after all. Mrs. Click starts class, and I pull out my notebook and write my usual two sets of notes. I don't think Steve could survive this class without me. After she finishes her lesson she gives us some independent study time, or as some would call it 'spitball hour'. Not wanting to get caught in all saliva, I decide I should go to the bathroom.

"Ms. Click?" I say, raising my hand. "Can I go to the restroom?"

"Sure, just take a hall pass," she says as she sits back in her chair with a book. It's probably some romance novel because that's what she always wasn't reading. At least that's what she tells us.

I get out of my desk and walk to the front of the room, grabbing a hall pass as I leave. I meander through the halls for a few minutes. I look at posters for all sorts of clubs, imagining the kind of people they target. School Newspaper? Nancy Wheeler for sure. She seems like the investigative type from what Steve has told me. Cheerleading? Well, Chrissy's a cheerleader, so people like her probably. I've always liked Chrissy. We used to be friends before high school started and we got busy. She and Jen were still really close though since Jen did cheer too. Hellfire Club? That's a tough one. I've secretly wanted to join since freshman year, but I've never had the guts to. Especially since my ex-boyfriend Eddie was in it. What? It was before I realized I liked girls a little more. I mean, I'm into guys too, but I just typically prefer girls.

I go down the hallway by the gym and spot a bathroom. I guess I did kinda have to pee. I abandoned my meandering and opened the door to the restroom. As I walk over to the last stall, which is always the best one, I see some familiar converse with some doodles on the side. That's weird, because Robin wasn't in English. Do I say something? I mean it's obviously her. Well, here goes nothing.

"Robin?" I say as I gently knock on the door. I hear a few sniffles as I see her feet shuffle on the floor. "Are you okay?" I ask.

"What do you think Y/N? Should I be '100% totally cool and fine' right now?" she says as I lower myself to the floor and sit with my back against the stall door.

"What?" I stammer. I hear her breath shake as she sighs. "You're really freaking me out Robin, what's wrong?"

"When were you going to tell me we only went to the quarry so you could fuck Steve?" she asks. There's a sharpness to her voice. It was lethal, venomous almost.

I felt my breath hitch in my chest as I searched for the right thing to say. "Robin, I never wanted to fuck Steve."

"Y/N Y/L/N. You are a big, fat, juicy liar. I mean you hang out with him all the time! Everyone in this school thinks you want in his pants!" she lashes. I wait a few moments. How do I even begin to explain myself? "I can't believe I was that dumb," she says as I feel her press her back to the other side of the stall door.

"Robin. I never liked Steve. We've only ever been friends. I mean-" I start to say before she cuts me off.

"How am I supposed to believe you? I don't even know why I'm this fucking upset. I mean all we ever did was hold hands. I don't even know you Y/N. I don't ever want to."

"Listen, please just let me finish," I hear her sigh and the am met with silence. I guess this is my opportunity. "People thought the reason I left with you two was that I was going to have sex with Steve. I know that, so I used that to get people off our asses today at school. If you heard my little speech, I'm sorry. But if people knew the real reason I left the party with you and Steve, they would probably try to run me out of town."