Chapter 5: Are You Checking Me Out?

I spent all of last night worrying about what Robin would say to me asking her to the party. I was pretty sure I had ran through every scenario I could think of. In fact, I had almost forgotten to let Chip out because I was so preoccupied.

I rode to school with Steve as usual, chatting with him about how I should go about asking Robin to the party. We both decided that it would be easiest to be upfront. When I got to school I started to get out of the car, but Steve stopped me.

"One last thing," he said smiling at me.

"What?" I asked nervously.

"Good luck." He said giving you a punch on the arm.

"Thanks, Steve." I said climbing out of the BMW.

"Go get 'em tiger!" He shouted making my face turn red as I walked through the doors to Hawkins High, readier than ever to face Robin.

As usual, I greeted people in the hall who now recognized me since I started hanging out with Steve. I guess it was one of the benefits of being friends with the king of Hawkins. Then I saw her. In her usual morning spot, but today she had company. Shit, you didn't plan for this.

"Hey," I said walking over to her. Did she always look this good? It must be criminal. The guy next to her must be one of her friends, it looked like they were laughing earlier. Maybe they weren't just friends? No, I wouldn't allow myself to think like that.

"Hey Y/n," she said smiling at me. "How goes it?" She said as I walked over, smiling back at her and trying to mask the utter tangle of doubts that filled my brain.

"I'm gunna go to class," said the guy she was talking to. He was average height with sandy brown hair and strong eyebrows. He also wore a jean jacket and a flannel.

"Okay, bye Johnathan," Robin said waving at him.

She turned to look at me and I was momentarily rendered speechless. I didn't realize how pretty her eyes were. They were so blue and, to be frank, were some of the prettiest eyes I had seen. They looked like pools of glittering water under a night sky.

"Are you checking me out?" She said playfully breaking my concentration.

"Oh, uh," I didn't know what to say to this, maybe just try and play it cool. "Maybe," I said smiling at her.

"Hmm.. I'll allow it," she said, teasing you. "What were you going to say?" She inquired, keeping eye contact.

"Want to, uh, go to a bonfire with me Friday?" I was barely getting the sentence out.

"Sure," she said as soon as I finished my sentence. "I can pick you up, what time?" She said smiling.

"I was thinking 8:00?" I said nervously. She looked like the conversation had barely fazed her. Was she used to getting asked out often?

"If you say so," she said still smiling. It was borderline awkward at this point. "Oh, shit. I need your address," she said turning around to grab a pen and paper out of her still open locker. After a couple of seconds she found them. "Here."

I wrote my address on the sheet of paper and gave it back to her, hoping she wouldn't lose it. "I'm looking forward to it," I said happily. The nerves were gone from my voice now.

"Me too," she said closing her locker. "See you later!" She said and turned around to- wait- did she just wink at you? HECK YEAH.

I was so happy I almost skipped to my first class. I would have to tell Steve later, because he needed to know that his plan worked.

At lunch I broke the news to Jen over the meatball sub.

"Are you freaking kidding me? I'm so happy for you!" She yelled and caught the attention of a few bystanders.

"Shh!" I said. "I don't want the whole school to know."

"Oh," she said lowering her voice to a whisper. "I'm super excited for you," she said taking a bite of her sub.

I spent the rest of lunch talking about the upcoming student council election and the assembly for each of the candidates to give their speeches in. I really liked Barb from what I had heard about her, and Jen agreed.

"She just seems so sweet" she mused. She was right. Barb was quiet, but she was an all-around sweetheart. How could you not vote for her?

"I agree. She gave me a button the other day on my way in," I said showing Jen the button Barb had given me.

"That's so cool! I didn't know she had buttons. I totally would have asked her for one." Jen said, sounding a little disappointed.

"You could probably still ask her for one, who knows? Maybe she has extra," I said to Jen.

I went about the rest of my day and had a remarkably boring class period in Click's. I still took Steve's notes, but the rest of the class was pretty uneventful, though I still doodled Robin in my notebook.

I made sure to give Steve his notes after class, and he thanked me and headed off to a basketball meeting after apologizing for not being able to walk me out of school. I kept telling him it was fine, but the guy just wouldn't accept it.

I walked home in my good winter coat. It was still tolerable cold weather, but it was not pleasant. Thankfully, since the week was almost over, I wouldn't have to worry about walking home for the weekend. The leaves crunched beneath my feet as I strolled down the street and looked around.

Hawkins really was a beautiful place during the fall. From an outside perspective it might seem plain, but to those who lived there, seeing the pumpkins sitting on the porches and the kids zipping by all bundled up on their bikes was really quite amusing.

I arrived home in about 10 minutes and unlocked the door. I was thankful to be in the warmth of my own home. As I entered the door I heard Chip's bark and came in to find him spinning in circles and looking at me.

I let him outside for a few minutes and then let him back in. When he came in he picked up a toy and I played tug-o-war with him, trying to get the toy out of his mouth after he had pulled it from my hands. Eventually, I fell back onto the soft brown carpet in the living room and let my mind wander.

You and Robin were going to the party, but what would happen after that?